Tuesday, December 21, 2010

Vision Casting

I have been part of many different churches and organizations where having a vision and mission statement can either totally define and drive that organization or be an act of futility. As I sit down to brainstorm and then meet with a friend I’ll be the first to say that it isn’t easy to describe what I am doing, our purpose, goals and DNA. Yet as I look at pictures, talk with people, see groups gather I am starting to get a better sense of what it means to be about restoring, reclaiming and reconnecting neighborhoods, families and individuals.

This morning we will take Pancho, not Poncho, a cat to the vet. Pita, the owner a teen, will clean our house in ‘trade’ for getting her orange cat helped. Pancho had been attacked and now has a swollen foot or paw. I love Pancho and actually helped name him Pancho Villa. Relationships are key to restoring and reclaiming a neighborhood. I could write books about my relationship with Pita. Who is slowly changing her outlook on life, direction and openness to talk about life, death, God and her family.

I was asked recently by someone in a meeting, why I do what I do. My answer, which could come across sarcastic, was so simple – I love what I do! I am all about building relationships that will help reclaim and restore neighborhoods and families. The opportunity is great and the responsibility is overwhelming. I do it motivate and train up leaders that will take this vision of reclaiming and restoring neighborhoods that have been taken over by violence and drugs?

I am the first to say that the neighborhood and families, which I relate back to including myself, are broken. I have a neighbor who now has been attacked by someone not once but twice. This last time saw their truck tires slashed. This isn’t some small truck but one of these ‘jacked up’ ones with a fancy paint job and expensive tires. The mom, Fanny, has come over numerous times to ask the why question? The police said that there has to be someone in their past who has it out for them. Usually there isn’t this random act of violence that is repeated.

So how do you define a movement that is drawing people from all walks of life? I think about some of the different people I now relate back to as friends. I think of the Ramona’s, Mr. Sanchez types. I think of the Maria Vargas and Emma’s and even Anthony, the step-dad of some of my kids. How do you define something in a sentence that will drive and motivate people, an organization to raise up and make a difference? Why does Doris keep coming to our different events?

No comments:

Post a Comment