Thursday, January 19, 2012

Communication is Key!

I have become an expert at buying and selling mostly laptops on Craigslist. It is always interesting to see whom God brings across my path when I’m in the process of selling or buying a laptop. I’m always shopping around for great deals on older inexpensive MacBook’s. I’m also learning that you don’t have to buy something brand new but can get someone else to buy it and then save hundreds when they decide for some reason they don’t want it or need the cash. I love to barter or trade.

I had been looking for a newer MacBook pro to use for church and doing presentations. The old Frog, aka 6 year old mbp 17” is still a good computer but slow when it comes to streaming. So I find a great deal on a laptop that is under a year old for 50% of original price. I know that getting this means I have to let go of the Frog. I was blessed to be able to preach at another church and used the gift for preaching to help with getting this newer machine that is really in perfect condition.

I pick up my ‘lime’ green machine, it has a cover, and now advertise on CL the Frog. It was only minutes after posting it that I had a couple of calls and texts. I usually don’t get too excited because I know it might take a few days to have the right person find me. Yet, as I listened to Anthony he seemed to be a good fit, a video guy that will work with Charter Schools. We talk in the afternoon but I have to go see my dad and have no idea how long it will take. I end up cooking a great dinner because my Anne is really sick and out of it. We finished our great gourmet feast and then I remember that my phone is upstairs and that this Anthony guy might have called.

I find my iPhone and discover he has called and texted. He’s serious and wants to meet. So I quickly erase any important info and refresh the laptop. I agree to meet at the Starbucks on 24th. He actually lives close by. I am assuming because of his voice that he’s African American. I’m getting a cup of brew and its obvious as he walks in that it’s Anthony. He’s a little bigger in size but obvious a former football guy. We sit and start talking and within minutes it’s obvious that we have lots in common and his wife teaches at one of the high schools where some of our teens attend.

I explain my frustration with the African American Family structure in South Phoenix and the unfortunate absence of dads or male role models. I chuckle and say that my only other good male role model is also another Anthony. I share about what we are doing and he actually calls his wife and we talk. Amazing that we live in such a small world. What are the odds via CL to connect with someone who is a video wiz that has a passion for youth and wants to help High School Students?

It is truly amazing when God sets something up it is so obvious. I know that Anthony was on a mission to find the right MacBook for his work. He had already been to a couple of pawnshops and used computer places. My Frog was the better choice for the price. I was fortunate to get this from someone who sold it for almost ½ what it is worth. I’m blessed to have a better laptop for what we are doing and he is blessed to get the bigger screen for doing his work. God is at work and I too often am the beneficiary of a great blessing.

No comments:

Post a Comment