Monday, January 23, 2012

Respect

This last week I had two very different experiences with people who would come across as being homeless. I was at my Starbucks after the morning rush. As I was coming into the parking to stop I noticed an older teen, who looked like he was ‘panhandling’. As I got out of the truck he quickly headed my way. He looked rather out of it and approached me under the guise of what time it happened to be. As I looked at my phone he then asked for any spare change. I asked him what was really going down. He had an awkward look on his face and briefly explained that he was homeless.

I told him to follow me and sit at the outside table. I asked him if he wanted something to eat, explaining that I didn’t like giving out money. He was unshaved and his clothes were dirty as he explained that both his mom and cousins didn’t want him. I said that was ok but needed a response about coffee and sandwich. He said he wanted iced coffee, which I thought was odd considering it, was still cool outside.

I went inside and asked the baristas if they had seen this guy Jonathan before. They explained that he had lifted the tip box before. One of the older baristas had confronted him about doing this and he admitted that he had taken their money. I asked him what had happened in his life? I explained as he was thinking what to say that I was a Christian and wanted to be a friend. I attempt to give him simple explanation of the Gospel and how his life needed to change for his circumstances to improve. He wasn’t too clear on what happened with his mom but that she didn’t want him around at present. I said he needed to go somewhere and not hang out at the Starbucks too long.

I had an appointment so I told him goodbye but said he could easily find me if he wanted each morning if he came early. I know he was thankful to get some coffee and a warm sandwich. I only hope that a kind word and some food might push him to rethink what he was doing with his life.

Last night after church we went to McDonalds with our group. We were all sitting down eating our $2 worth of specials and talking. There was an older lady that was sitting by herself eating some peanuts. She had a tattered bag and clothing that looked like she was homeless. As I looked at over the next ten minutes I could sense that she was in some distress. I asked one of my teens to go over and ask her if she wanted something to eat. My teen, who usually steps up, chickened out and I instead went and order a McDouble, fries and large drink. I am assuming that my charm or persuasive powers will get her to take the food. I got the food and slowly approached her. I could tell the second my eyes met hers that she didn’t want to have anyone bother her, especially a ‘White’ guy who looked like he wanted to fix her or rescue her. I explained that the food was a gift and that she should eat it. Her response was sadly awkward, “Leave me alone!! I’ll scream if you don’t go away.”

I walked away saddened not knowing what to do but respect her wishes. I tried but wondered what had caused her to be on the streets by herself? I could tell she was hungry but she was too prideful to take it or maybe I asked in an inappropriate fashion? I gave the fries and burger to a couple of different teens. I truly felt bad for her. She looked as if she had a drinking issue because her eyes were really red.

I usually don’t quit or walk away from a situation but this time I did. My hope and prayer is that God will send someone else to her today and bless her with a smile first and then ask her how she is doing. I always remember Jesus’ lesson on how to love him but by loving those around you, especially those like this lady or teen.

No comments:

Post a Comment