Monday, January 9, 2012

Tribute!

Last night there was a tribute at University of Arizona in Tucson for those who lost their lives a year ago at the Safeway that has changed the lives of many Arizonians. I can’t fathom the emotions that went through those who attended, especially Gabby Giffords and her husband Mark. The congresswoman and her family will never be the same. The road to recovery for many will be for the rest of their lives. I will never understand what it would be like to have been there that day working at Safeway. The reality for many employees was that they went back to work in a few days and were suppose to act as if everything was back to normal.

We were blessed to have had some time in San Diego, our second home during the New Year’s Weekend. We did many of the usual things, like go to the beach, see the harbor, go to the Wild Animal Park, enjoy some Flippi’s pizza and watch a couple of movies with our larger family. The real treat though wasn’t any of these but seeing an older grandma who has been instrumental in my life and the lives of many youth at First Presbyterian in downtown San Diego. I was a little embarrassed when we walked into the New Year’s Day Service only to discover that they had combined both early and late services and also invited another international congregation to join them.

We did hear the last portion of the International Pastor’s sermon, which was an excellent call to live out the Gospel in the New Year. I saw many old faces around us that I hadn’t seen for a while. I know that my Anne was teary eyed through most of the service understanding that this could be the last service she might attend with her mom. I’m always teary eyed at First Church because my mom has been gone for over four years and I have many memories of being with my family at First Church.

After the service we winded our way into the Fellowship Hall area and the overflow area. They had a typical church potluck happening. I wasn’t really in the mood to be too social understanding the circumstances. Yet, there was one face that caught my eyes that I was automatically drawn – Mrs. Marksbury. I don’t know exactly how old she is but know that over forty years ago when Anne and I taught 4th grade Sunday School with her and Blaine she looked the same as today. I heard the story through a few that she had suffered a severe fall at Thanksgiving and had been in the hospital. I also heard the sad news that Blaine was back in the hospital because of his ongoing battle with cancer.

I will always remember these two special friends because of their amazing smiles and quickness to always greet everyone regardless of age or background. I have soo many great memories of them volunteering to do the thankless jobs at First Church. I know that they had become permanent fixtures at the church that everyone assumed would be there forever. Yet, all of us know that there is no such thing as forever in this present life, short of going to heaven and glory with Jesus.

My time at First Pres during my seminary days was incredible between having theological discussions with many, serving along with an amazing team to help the multi-cultural youth group see the bigger picture and being challenged with the path for my future. The interesting thing looking back was that the Marksbury’s or Blueberries as we nicked named them didn’t stand out because of what they said but because of how they lived their lives. I will always remember these two automatically embraced the rag tag youth that made their way into the First Pres catacombs. I can’t ever remember Blaine or Mildred being put off because of the ethnic mix of kids or their wildness on occasion.

I know that the Tucson Vigil at U of A made the national headlines, yet, I also know that the memorial service for Blaine Marksburry made the headlines in Heaven for his homecoming. I am sadden to know that this saint’s smile will be missed at First Church but will be reflected by many all over the world who have been touched by his servant’s heart and smile. There is much of who I am today that is a byproduct of these two. I don’t think I would understand servant leadership or how to face hardship if it hadn’t been for these two. I know that Blaine fought skin cancer most of his life. I know that his thin hair on top didn’t always cover over the scars left from the numerous surgeries. Yet, what sticks out wasn’t his hat he would wear but his handshake, smile and greeting.

I have had a few like the Blueberries in my life that have truly shown me a taste and touch of heaven. My prayer is that I can be the same in my old age and encourage the generation growing up to see that having a smile, a handshake and ready greeting will change the world. Thanks Blaine and Mildred for being part of my life over the last 40 years!

No comments:

Post a Comment