Monday, January 16, 2012

Yo Yo Life?

We had an incredible weekend, I think? We had the opportunity this last week to go out with some dear friends that we have known for 13 years. This pastor friend has suffered in a way that I can’t relate to or attempt to understand. So as I share my yo yo life I know that JP’s will give perspective. We went out with this East Coast couple to Cibo’s, which is a rather different type of Urban Place that is a retro house with an amazing outside area. The only challenge in January in Phoenix is that it can really be cold at night. So we decided to get a table faster than waiting for an inside table and braved the sub freezing temps of 57 degrees.

We had a great time sharing some delicious food that was different but a tastefully type of different that was a lot of fun. As we listened to JP’s journey, which is now part like 30, he’s lost 2 wives and is on number 3, oops Deb you are so much more than a number. I was encouraged to better understand my calling to be exactly where I am and love the people, even if there are too many teens the gospel is at work!

I did endure a long-winded presentation at a little conference with JP but it was worth it to be with my good friend. So the weekend began with an early hike up the Superstition Mountains with a group of 40 being led by two great friends that are crazy enough to take a group of teens and little kids. I would have loved to hear the rangers and volunteers talk about this multi-colored group that overwhelmed the small group of senior hikers.

I had to take a break from writing because the manager of my Starbucks decides to sit and talk for over an hour. I had to almost remind him that he needed to get to work so I would be able to finish my blog – haha. If that wasn’t enough there was another guy, Scott, who I had briefly talked with before that was overhearing our conversation about community involvement that had to ask questions.

We had a busy weekend but it was great seeing all of our kids for Chinese Buffet, Anne was able to watch our Jon’s girlfriend run the PF Chang’s ½ Marathon and I was able to preach at a downtown church, which was actually a lot of fun. As our evening approached we did our usual monthly dinner gathering which went really well even though it was cold and rained a little as we were outside. It was great being able to have a fire outside to warm us up.

I noticed that my Anne was on the phone outside and knew that it had to be her dad. I know that he had called a day before but we didn’t’ connect. I had decided to go see my dad after dropping off all of our teens. He needed some food and TLC. I am obviously concerned about his progress after his stroke. The night before he wasn’t doing very well. He was freaked out because he asked one of the staff for our phone number and they gave him an old number that didn’t work. He called up our cells, which he usually does any way but acted as if something was wrong. I couldn’t get out of him what was the problem. So when we arrived it was clear that he really thought we had abandoned him.

I got home late last night and my Anne was already in bed snoring. I didn’t mess with her because I knew she was sick and didn’t need to be bothered. So it wasn’t until she was getting to leave for work that she told me her mom had just had a stroke. We have been walking on pins and needles the last six months because Nani has had significant health issues. We both know that are parents are getting old and at some point will go home to heaven. The difficulty is that they might be ready for that but we aren’t at a point in life where we can accept this.

I could see in my Anne’s eyes what had happened. I can remember getting mad on more than a few occasions when my kids or Anne had said some things about how I was acting and blew up and said you don’t understand what it is like to have your mom die and then your dad have dementia and not be ok. I never wanted to wish on anyone ill health. So both of us ache as we live in the midst of too much brokenness and hurt. I’m reminded daily of this with the work that we do, our friends and just life overall.

Our little dog Peanut was limping the last couple of days. I can get emotional over our dogs, especially our little guys because a car that we both witnessed killed their mom. As I write this blog it isn’t to complain, at least too much, but more reflect on the fact that life can be a yo yo or roller coaster ride at times. So I know that just as I experience a down swing in life that God will bring us back up. As a kid I was actually a talented yo yoer. I actually won a few competitions and still can ‘walk the dog’ or ‘rock the cradle ’. I don’t want to bring life down to the level of a Duncan Yo Yo because it has so much value and worth by God’s design! The challenge is that it is easy at times to get discouraged and think that my life is a yo yo. It is only through family, friends and God’s intervention that I feel loved. So even as I sat in my Starbucks my friend Joseph, the manager, made my day by choosing to sit for an hour and talk.

No comments:

Post a Comment