Thursday, January 5, 2012

Old!

I do have a difficult time admitting to the fact that I am getting old. Yeah, I know being around my father in-law gives me hope that I can be actively involved with making a difference for the Lord until I go home. I have been pegged as someone who is hyperactive and can’t be still. I admit to the fact that I like to be a doer. I do enjoy and actually cherish times when I can be still and read. Yes, I do read books, yes with my ipad.

This last week we went to San Diego to get away, be with Anne’s mom and dad and actually have a day to hang out at the beach and stay at a hotel on the shoreline. I have to admit that one of my highlights of the trip wasn’t being an hour late to church, no one thought that for New Year’s Day church might be different for First Pres. We did run into quite a few friends from our past which represent our aging youth group that is now in their 40’s and then lots of grandma types. I also remembered many who have been significant in my life that were physically absent but spiritually present as they looked down from heaven.

There is one special couple that seemed like they were old in the 70’s when we were doing a 4th grade Sunday School Class, Blaine and Mildred Marksbury. It is now 40 years later they are exactly the same. What struck me as I saw Mildred having lunch after church was that she recognized me and automatically asked about our lives in South Phoenix. I will always remember how much influence the ‘Blackberry’s’ had on our Hispanic Youth. Most of them were on the wild side and really didn’t fit too well in a more traditional church. Yet, they led the way for many at First Church to love on these youth, help provide funding for a van and a very active youth program that sees fruit 40 years later.

I know that Blaine was in the hospital for his cancer and that Mildred had a very serious fall around Thanksgiving that had her in the hospital. I think of the many people in my life, part from my parents and Anne’s, it would be the Blueberry’s that impacted me the most along with another close friend, Lillian, who lives in the Bay Area. I know that in today’s hip church scene that they wouldn’t fit at all. They love hymns and mostly organ music and not the praise band type of worship. They also are into dressing up for all events. I have learned so much from them about praying and continuing to care for those that aren’t physically around you.

My prayer is that as I age that I can become like Mildred or Lillian and be special friends to those who are half my age. I do love being able to bug my father in-law about his hyperactive tendencies today. We went to the wild animal park while we were with him over the weekend and he was the one that was literally running from event to event. He was the one that wanted to do something every day and not just be still.

God thanks that I can enjoy being an old man sitting at my Starbucks blogging!

1 comment:

  1. Mr. Blaine passed away. Just yesterday or today I believe. I think my earliest memory is of him, in pre-k at city tree in 1988 or so...

    ReplyDelete