Thursday, June 14, 2012

Expectations


We live in a world where most want to live as if there aren’t any standards. It is easy to give the impression at times that expectations aren’t very important. Yet, I’m a person who always has high expectations for others and myself. I can easily be disappointed at times whether I show my heart or not. Last night we did out second job and life skills group. My real hope for this group of teens, that represents the gamut of slackers to superstars is that even the teen who seems least likely to get a job will be motivated to do a resume, participate and truly think about getting a job and doing it!

It is easy to put my expectations on someone else and believe because they don’t do it my way that there is something lacking in them or they are really lazy bums. I was pleasantly surprised at how many in the group had done their resumes even if they didn’t have access to a laptop or printer. I had Joseph. the manager of my Starbucks, look over them and select the one that he would choose. I was totally shocked when he picked one that was hand written and he gave his reason. This teen gal got a $5 Starbucks card!

Last night we listened to a young African American Staff Sargent in the Air Force share her story about joining the military. She was honest, in your face and pumped about her life and career. The reality, as she shared, was that there is a lot of discrimination in the military and that she had experienced that often but didn’t allow it to stop her from doing her best. The truth for most of this group is that they have been given few expectations in life. Most don’t get the importance of setting goals and pursing them regardless of how you feel or the circumstances around them.

My friend Joseph shared about Starbucks expectations for his store. He described the culture of the Corporate Starbucks as very engaging, caring and helping. Yet, he also painted a picture that each store was expected to succeed and continue to do better and better. He was very honest that his store was at the bottom of the Starbucks Group for Phoenix when he came on as manager two years ago. He continued to tell his story about how his boss would encourage him and help out and now his store rocks! This didn’t come easy but it is happening.

Why is it the case that some people in life seem to get the importance of making goals, having a plan and actually doing something with their lives? As I interact with my interns for the summer we talk about a lot of these issues. Why is it the case that what we value to be so important someone else my look at as being a waste of time or energy? Do expectations and goals reflect a person’s life history? Yeah, of course they do, so if I’m raised around parents who have this DNA then most likely it will impact my life. If I’m raised without any parents or adults who care it will be difficult to follow through with much of anything.

Clearly we are called to place expectations on each other and hope that our mutual pursuits will help encourage us to step up and do great things for God, each other and ourselves.  I’m the one that chooses to be up at 5am and be thinking, blogging, praying, reading and acting out I hope God’s expectations each day. Is it ok for me to put on my interns, New City Kidz the same goal – get up! Get up early and do something with your life! You tell me.

As we finished last’s night Job Skill Group I knew that my teens had heard a lot, it was all good but what are they going to do tomorrow and the next day? One of the new teens interacted with Joseph and came across a little arrogant. Joseph was quick to point out the difference between being a real leader and a wanna be leader. My prayer is that each of these teens will learn to be followers first of Jesus, some of my adult volunteers and then they will lead their friends to God. 

No comments:

Post a Comment