Wednesday, June 6, 2012

Help! My friend Sylvia is donating a kidney to a save a 23 year old's life.


I’m typically around people who are asking for help or need something. Seldom am I around someone who is truly willing to lay their life down for another, especially if it puts their physical health in question. I have known Sylvia over the last 4 years. She is one of my ‘Hispanic’ Moms/Grandmas. She is the type of friend that is always asking if there is something she can do. Usually that equates to making food for an event or drive at the last minute for a special event.

My friend or sister Sylvia has experienced lots of hardship in her life over the last couple of years. Her Nana died two years ago. Sylvia and her daughter, Andee, lived and helped take care of Nana. This was a very difficult adjustment to have Nana gone and still live in the same house. The same year their little dog died after getting a disease. Over the last few years Sylvia had been instrumental in getting food from her Safeway where she had worked 18 years for our different big lunch events. Our first Painting Blitz Lunch saw over 300 people attend with Sylvia being the key to getting hotdogs, buns, chips and free water.

I was totally shocked when I hear that Sylvia has been terminated at Safeway for using her courtesy card for a customer. I was ready to go head to head with her new manager who was purging the entire older workforce that had seniority and power in the store. It was a tough six months for her finding another job and not being able to collect unemployment because of the way her manager fired her. Yet, through all of this Sylvia had an incredible attitude that God would provide. She eventually gets a job at J.C. Penny’s making about half of what she made at Safeway.

Sylvia has become the caretaker in her larger family. So she has been there for her various ailing uncles, who have serious health challenges. Yesterday as I am asking her if she can help drive to Slide Rock on Saturday she lets out of the bag that she is considering donating her kidney for her ex-husband’s daughter, Monica. I at first texted something sarcastic like how much are you getting for your kidney on the black market. She quickly calls and explains that Monica, who is 23, has renal failure and is on dialysis. She turns out to be the only family member, even though Sylvia isn’t related to Monica that is willing to offer a kidney.

The same day we take a large group of our youth to Pecos Pool to start off our summer program. I end up being able to get the real scoop from her daughter, Andee who is 16. Yeah, this is serious and if Sylvia doesn’t do this there might not be much hope for this young lady. I could tell as I talked with Andee that she was proud of her mom for attempting to see if she is a match but also scared about what could happen to her.

So here’s the scoop Sylvia has had the year from ‘hell’ and is broke, under-employed and now is considering this surgical procedure that will require her to not work for at least 6-8 weeks. Who in their right mind would do this? Yet, I know that my friend, Sylvia is the one who would step up and give up one of her kidneys regardless of the cost to her and her family. So now I face an amazing opportunity to ask my larger circle of friends to consider giving to help cover Sylvia’s living expense for the couple of months she is not able to work. Yes the hospital will cover the cost of the surgery and the expense of living in LA for a few weeks before returning home.

It is in times like this that I confess to my poor stewardship in life. I wish I had the means to totally cover her living expenses for a couple of months. My personal goal is to cover her car payment for the months she is unable to pay. My hope is to raise $5,000 to cover her household expenses and at least be even when she goes back to a job that still doesn’t meet her real needs.

I know that my Father in heaven owns the cattle on a thousand hills and is far above the financial institutions which too many of us put our faith and trust in while ignoring God’s faithful promises. I’m hoping that as I reach back to a few friends, churches and business that we can raise $5K. Please contact me if you are interested in helping Sylvia. (480-236-1400 newcityphoenix@mac.com)

No comments:

Post a Comment