Wednesday, June 20, 2012

Little Things?


I know that as a kid growing up in a mom centered home that little things were always made of paramount importance. I admit that today I react when a guest staying with us doesn’t make their bed or God forbid leave the toilet seat up. Lot of my quirks in life come back to my mom and her amazing way in raising me. It is no different with my incredible wife, best friend and partner in ministry. She is always doing little things, which make my life, my kid’s lives and my dog’s life ‘rock’. Anne can’t leave for work before changing all of the dog water, getting Taco up and ready, he is our bird, making sure the trash is out and the list goes on. I attempt to push her out but she won’t listen.

I believe that what makes life work much better is how we approach the little things in life. I won’t pick a fight over which direction the toilet paper comes off the wall thingy or whether we pass food around the table in military order or the other direction. Yet, I was raised with taking pride in all of these little things, which as I age become important. The real issue is that we show our love for others and even God by giving our all in doing the little things. The challenge is that we live in a world where short cuts or the easy way out is the preferred path for most.

Yes, I do react to those who don’t take the time look out for the little things that can make the difference between an ok day and an amazing day. My mom did hit me over the head growing up by teaching me first hand never to put off something that could be done today by being a flake and waiting till tomorrow. So yes I pay all of my bills on the first of the month and don’t wait until the end of the month. I would rather unload the dishwasher before Anne gets home instead of leaving it for her.

I admit that I’m a person who cares about details and can get bent out of shape when someone purposely chooses to be lazy or a slacker. I know that following through on anything in life is so important.  Yet, I am presently a recipient of God’s amazing grace and mercy which enables me to not react to those not as focused on detail or the little things. I know that perspective in life is usually everything. Seldom do I ever take the time to see life through the eyes of someone else. If I did I wouldn’t be so quick to react or judge with the things I consider to be important.

It is interesting that Jesus gives a few parables or stories of how God’s care for us is totally amazing and something that happens regardless of circumstances. If the birds in the field make it day to day won’t we have our essentials provided? Jesus explains the way to truly love him comes back to how we treat each other. I can’t shine on the person in real need but the challenge is I have limited resources and when I see someone wasting or misusing God’s provision I get a little ticked.

I often get phone calls late at night with a request either to do taxi service which at times I will say no because it is too late or will succumb. I also receive requests for money to help with utilities or food. I usually am open to helping understanding that no one should go to bed hungry or in a really hot house in the summer. The challenge is when I recently had just helped and I don’t want to be used or contribute to someone’s inability to manage their finances or allow someone to waste the little they have on alcohol or drugs.  So as I told one of my teens that I would help his mom if she called me and talked about her finances. I seldom get a return call in this situation.

As I finish this blog and pick up a few youth to help load up a good friend’s U-Haul I know that little things like having a few extra hands to help move is everything. I know that it is easy for people to be excited when someone special moves into their neighborhood or moves to a different place. Yet, few people show up during workday hours to help someone moving outside the area. It could be a real bummer with only the grandparents helping with a little guy and a wife who is pregnant.

I am so thankful to have a wife who takes pride in the little things in life so my life is so rich and full. God is a master in making the little things in life rock my world!

No comments:

Post a Comment