Monday, July 15, 2013

Big Ear


Yesterday I did one of those last minute BBQ or gatherings that doesn’t seem like a big deal but it becomes a big deal! My goal was to invite mostly our Hispanic family and friends over. What was only going to be a few turned out to be around 25 that came over for some great carne asada, beans, rice, potato salad and the best angel food cake with strawberries! It was really hot and humid outside so we sent up an extra table inside for those that didn’t want to sweat.

I know that initially these types of gatherings can be rather nosy and wild. It didn’t take too long for everyone to appear and the food line to stretch throughout the house. It was great having plenty of food and good hot dogs with buns. I always laugh when my cooks tell me that they don’t need to cook any hot dogs. I know that the dogs will get eaten quickly, especially with lots of little kids at the BBQ.

After the dessert is being served everyone calms down into little groups and end up talking or chilling, as the teens would share. I know that sometimes providing a space and opportunity for some to just hang out and talk is what is needed. I had taken home a bunch of the teens but had purposely left a few with a handful of adults.

It just turned out that a few of my single moms needed to air their ‘dirty laundry’! I am typically of the persuasion that a friend with a listening ear can be just as beneficial as going to a therapist or counselor. I know that some times having a more experienced professional seems to help more but I still think that I am more apt to open up to one of my peers who has gone through similar circumstances. I was jazzed for these two friends hang out for over an hour and hear each other’s stories.

I believe there is power in listening to each other’s stories and then be able to connect in ways that helps each other out. Everyone experiences similar circumstances in life that help us at times have a sound word to share that can help someone who is overwhelmed. I know that listening to someone who has been there and done it does help. The reality is that at times it doesn’t matter who is listening as long as there is someone there that cares. Too often paid professionals can’t empathize in the same way as a friend.

Our last minute BBQ seemed to provide an opportunity for a few of our friends to connect in a different circumstance that actually made a big difference. I know at times it is easy to think that you are totally by yourself in life decisions. I also know that sometimes the relatives don’t get it and you are ready to scream! I’m glad that our BBQ ended up becoming a Big Ear for a few good friends. 

No comments:

Post a Comment