Monday, July 1, 2013

Storms Happen


Last night around 6:30pm we had one of those dust storm warnings that comes over the T.V., cell phone network and radio. I love the monsoon season because it means quick violent storms that usually bring lots of wind and usually some rain. It definitely brings relief to the extreme heat in the summer time. It is a mixed blessing in that we welcome having the air cleaned out by the winds but the damage at times can been seen as trees have literally been chopped in two.

I know that real life storms are something that no one really plans for nor expects help from many if any. Last night I get a text from one of my teens that their power is about to go off. They have about an hour left on their empower box. (This is a device that allows you to pay on a daily basis for the electricity in your house.) The last thing I wanted to do after having gotten up early to finish preaching prep and doing church was to go out and help someone. I know I couldn’t ignore this text so I sent a message back sure someone will be there soon with resources to help keep your power on.

Just as I send out our intern to do this important errand my wife tells me about someone else that was out of food. I was a little tiffed that my Anne didn’t say something when we got home around 3pm so that someone could have easily gotten them some groceries. The reality is that food boxes don’t solve an empty frig problem but provide meager help at best. I knew that some time the following day I would be getting them some food and then find out what was really going on in their family and help them be aware of some one time help they could receive.

I know that not having any food or power can be a crisis. Yesterday I was privileged to preach at one of our partner churches, Journey of Faith. We have been doing work with them over the last year. It has been great to enter into a Korean culture and allow them to enter into our Hispanic and African American world also. One of the key leaders, who is over doing missions, has become a good friend. I just found out that her husband had been diagnosed with Colon Cancer. I knew that this came as a total shock to the family and the large circle of church friends.

I just discovered that my new friend was already having chemo and radiation treatment. He actually had a pouch that pumped chemo into his body on a 24/7 basis for the following six weeks. He was also going daily for radiation treatment. His world had literally done a 360 and he was now unable to work and didn’t have insurance. Their lives have now become centered on treatments and tumor markers. I know that the doctors have given hope that doing this double treatment all at once is likely to kill the cancer. The challenge is whether he has to still have surgery and have serious complications that will impact him for the rest of his life.

I was pleased to be able to pray for him during the church service and spend some one on one time with him after the service while we were enjoying some bagels. I know that his life hadn’t been the greatest since starting a Sushi Bar that didn’t make it and had to work for someone else. The aftermath of loosing your business and your house is totally devastating. Now his life is on the line and he is living one day at a time. I’m learning from my Anne that in situations like this words don’t do much help. I totally see the need to be a better listener and be more focused on praying for God’s presence to sustain and fill my friend’s life and that of his wife and kids.

I know that the landscaping crew will soon be at the strip mall where I go to remove the fallen trees and debris from last night’s storm. I also know that my Heavenly Father is more than able to help my friend as he faces one of life’s greatest storms – cancer. 

No comments:

Post a Comment