Tuesday, July 9, 2013

First Job


I can remember when I was teen getting my first real job at a local Ice Cream Parlor, Brook’s Ice Cream. Brook was an interesting 40 something that had entrusted his business with a group of teens. I can remember being given the privilege of doing the inventory each week and come up with an ice cream list that three of us would take all fresh ingredients to craft Brook’s Ice Cream. Looking back this was one of the most incredible times in my life. The guys that worked there became real close friends. A few of us had played in a rock band together, done crazy stuff together and ultimately God used another David to bring me to Himself

I have been working with a handful of guys over the last year with the intention of helping them get their first job. I know that this shouldn’t be a big deal but in today’s wacky economy and job market it’s very difficult for teens or young adults to get their first job. I don’t remember having much stress when it came to getting the job at Brooks. It was easy because three of my friends already worked there so it seemed to be a given that I would get the job. This was not the case with my guys.

I have taken them to get applications and drop off applications and even do a few interviews. These guys were dressed like they were from middle class families. Yet, the reality, as we have talked, is that we live in a very discriminatory time where how you look, how you talk and your racial background will determine whether you get a job. I know that some of my African American teens were fearful of being interviewed at a McDonalds that was totally Hispanic.

I know that few handle rejection very well at all. It almost seems pointless to continue to do applications online or go to interviews if you aren’t going to at least get a rejection letter or e-mail. Today was the day that one of my teens had to be at Burger King at 9am. I pick him up at 8:30 and we get there early. I watch him inside the BK while sitting in my truck. I know that the manager might take awhile with there being a breakfast rush. So I decide to go do a couple of errands while he is waiting.

After doing my errands I pull into the parking lot and see the manager sitting with my teen. He had great eye contact and his hands were folded on the table. Awesome, he has actually learned a few things through our life skill group over the last year. Now for the moment of truth as he walks to my truck, opens the door and screams out, ‘I GOT THE JOB!’ I must have been just as nervous as him and now just as elated that he actually got the job. Yes, he got the job. Now the real work begins as he gets his food handler’s license, uniform and goes through training.

I have been blessed to have been raised by smart and hard working parents who taught me so much about how to work and relate to people. I am thrilled that my teen has an opportunity to learn about leadership, being disciplined and pouring himself into his first job. I had texted one of the dads who quickly says I want my Whopper with cheese and no pickles! Can’t wait for my teen to take my order!

No comments:

Post a Comment