Wednesday, July 17, 2013

Late Life Crisis!


A few days ago one of my more mature teens asked if I had gone through a mid-life crisis. I thought for a few minutes and had to honestly say NO. Then over the next week I had the strangest thing happen I started getting asked if I wanted a senior discount. Initially I would balk at such a thing and say you talking about ME? Yes, I have gray hair and a grey beard. I know that I assumed that made me look distinguished but not old like 55 plus.

So today I get a call from some close friends who are a young couple with a 2 year old. They spent the summer with us last year so their little guy sees Anne and myself as grandparents. Today was the crowning confirmation that this was true, little Phin actually said my whole name. This was such a momentous occasion they had to call while they were on their way to the doctors. I cherished the moment but then it struck me I’m more than old enough to have Phin’s mom and dad be my own kids.

I’m getting donuts this morning for my guys who are fast asleep after staying up most of the night for our guy’s overnighter. The place was empty on the inside but the drive through was slammed. So I went inside to save some time. As I’m explaining my order the young gal rings it up and without asking automatically puts in a senior discount. Yeah or wait a minute. Yes, I saved approximately $2 with this discount. Is it time for me to admit that turning 60 is my real mid-life crisis?

I was at a restaurant a few weeks ago and the waitress politely asked if I wanted the senior discount. It took me by surprise and I said if I say no does that mean that I’m not a senior? She chuckled and said sure. What if I say yes to the discount and am not a senior but look like I should be? She again chucked and asked for the last time and I responded no. I didn’t want to ask does the discount mean I have to be 55 or 60 or 62? I know at the theater I have to be 62, at IHOP it is 55 and at my Hilton Resort it is 55 or having an AARP membership.

A couple months ago we went to San Diego to be part of my father in-law’s birthday celebration. He had always wanted to parachute out of a plane so for his 87th the family provided the means for him to do this. I know that my mother in-law was somewhat reticent to have him do this but after all there were quite a few at their senior complex who had jumped at 88, 89 and even 90. This was Paul’s day to shine at 87. Here I have an amazing living example of someone who has defied the age barrier. He has done just as much in his life in the last 25 years then he did during his normal working career. I should take notice and realize that the 60 something of today is almost like the 40 something of his generation.

I know that regardless of what I try to tell myself I will be 60 in 2 months and I can no longer say that I’m a fifty something so I will have to go change all of my social media sites to be honest. I know that most females will say they are 59 or 49 and on hold. I know that guys are supposed to be ok with their age but wait a minute that is someone else not me. Now I have to face the reality of a calendar that is a reminder that I’m a child of the 60’s not 80’s and that my kids are all almost 30 somethings.

Yes I was a little surprised that my honorary grandpa title came sooner then being a real grandpa. I have lots of kids, teens and young adults that I know look at me as a dad and probably more a grandpa. This is all good but why do I have to turn 60 so soon? I guess I can take heart in having lots of hair, albeit gray hair! 

No comments:

Post a Comment