Saturday, July 27, 2013

Don't Freak Out!


One of the greatest gifts and strengths in life is other people. I am so fortunate to have lots of friends and a few that are great best friends. I had recently connected with a new friend who shares much in common with me when it comes to life passion and commitments. It is always so refreshing to be around others who share much in common and energize me to do community work and keep focused for my life. I know that making choices whether it be about simple no brainers or very important life changing choices are made best with advice from good friends.

I know that most will agree that as a youth it is easy to make decisions based upon spur of the moment thinking. We live in an instant fix generation where everyone wants everything today. I’m so glad that Amazon can get me an e-book in seconds. I’m thrilled that I can order something today and get it tomorrow. I was able to send a birthday gift via Facebook to one of my teens. Easy, simple and it works. The challenge is that there is something real that happens when I’m forced to actually shop for a gift, think through a decision to purchase something or listen to another who has gone through a difficult circumstance.

I am involved with a lot of youth and adults that are ongoing life crises. Yesterday I ended up talking with a teen that will be a mom soon. She has lots of decisions, which are not easily thought through without outside support and help. I also spent time with a mom and her kids who are going through hell because of a deadbeat dad, a brother and other family members. I was with another friend who has life threatening health issues and is totally dependent upon others to live.

So how does anyone not totally shut down or pardon the expression, ‘Freak Out!’ Here is what I’m learning:
  • ·      Don’t go alone – wisdom is seen in the advice from multiple friends.
  • ·      Be honest and talk about what is happening which means you have to be transparent and venerable.
  • ·      Change takes time so take baby steps to see improvements as you replace a bad life pattern with a better life pattern.
  • ·      Open your eyes and learn from those around you, even those you might not like or agree with their life choices totally.
  • ·      Last – be patient, see life as an adventure and make each day count! Do something for someone else and get your focus off of yourself.


My best friend, my wife, would kick me and say great advice but are you able to follow your own guidelines. My response would be, 'No it isn’t easy but today is a new day to experience life before God and her. 'So go for it and make better choices that will have greater benefits for you, your family and friends. 

No comments:

Post a Comment