Wednesday, November 12, 2014

Our Job is To Love Others Without Stopping to Inquire Whether or Not They are Worthy!

If I’m to err it will always be on the side of grace, mercy and compassion! I know that at times it is easy to be snookered by someone into helping them, when they are on the side of a road or standing outside a fast food establishment. I was listening to a radio program where someone followed a lady that was panhandling with her son and discovered that she drove a Benz and lived in a high rent type of apartment. The reality for most that I know is that they live hand to mouth and don’t have anything in their pockets.

I have a close friend who has spent most of her life homeless until recently. It was through a few friends that live in downtown Phoenix that my special friend found a home for a season. She was someone that had been married gone through personal tragedy and didn’t have the ability to get a job or keep a job. Fortunately over the last 3 years this has changed dramatically! She is now living on her own, which is very scary and has a real job, as she puts it, at Wal-Mart as a greeter. Yes, one of those older types that is annoying and smiles and talks to you as you walk into the store.

I hadn’t visited my friend in quite some time and needed to give her some Starbuck’s Coffee and a hug. I had left my portable fire ring at the house she was staying and needed to get it. Unfortunately the owner decided to put the house on the market and she was forced to get a different living arrangement. I love seeing my friend regardless of her personal setting! The challenge many face is how do you decide to stop judging people and start helping? It is so easy to make excuses like the story on the radio of the person who was actually good at panhandling and could live rather comfortable. Yet, most that have been raised around generational poverty where it takes a huge amount of brainpower and persistence to make a real change struggle to make it every day.

I love the story where Jesus heals a group of lepers, which regardless of your religious or socio-economic setting was stepping outside the box. What amazed me was that only one out of the group decided to walk back to Jesus and say thanks? Do you think this made Jesus consider doing something rather strange, like ‘unheal’ the other nine? The reality is that life went on and that those who didn’t say anything still had their lives transformed and eventually spoke positively about the one from Galilee.

What I love about this quote from Thomas Merton is that it doesn’t focus on fixing someone but loving them. Yes, touching someone who is struggling and giving a helping hand, a ride, bus pass or getting them food could make the difference that helps this person not to give up on life. What is mysterious about life is that the person who looks good might be the one who is on the edge and needs that smile, special hello or a hug.

As I’m writing this blog I received a call from a total stranger who got my number from someone at her church. Her hope and expectation is that I could help with her kids and grandkids at Christmas. I couldn’t make any promises but will attempt to make it happen for a Thanksgiving basket and turkey.  There are so many that are hurting and needy that you don’t have to look far to give a helping hand or creative gift that will help someone have a better day without judging them for their circumstances.

No comments:

Post a Comment