Thursday, November 27, 2014

We know who killed Michael Brown but who really murdered him?

I know that in the heat of the moment common sense never prevails. Too often I have to pull my foot out of my mouth after I’ve said something that I know just shouldn’t have come out. The reality is that sticks and stones do hurt and kill but so do my words. This last week a grand jury of 12 peers made a decision, which the public has become the jury, as to whether or not Officer Wilson killed or murdered Michael Brown on August 9th.  After having watched the aftermath of both peaceful protesting and the unfortunate choice of some to turn Ferguson into a war zone it’s time to admit our part in this tragedy.

I lost my mom to breast cancer after a 10 year battle and more recently my dad succumbed to a disease that robs a person of their memory and their ability to eat, swallow and breath normally. I personally understand the hurt, anger and frustration of losing a loved one who shouldn’t have died. Yet, the facts reveal that we all have a role in the outcome of life’s events. The old saying that we are either part of the problem or part of the solution must be heard! We can’t stand on the sidelines of life’s journey and watch evil triumph over good.

Yes, I believe that everyone, myself included, has some onus for the murder of the Michael Browns out there. It is so easy to walk away from circumstances that we might not have created directly. Yet, our choice not to act or do something to address our societal blindness to the ‘youth disconnect’ is criminal! Someone who has been raised around violence and hate too often sees no other form of expression but to respond with disrespect and violence or as in my neighborhood revenge becomes the ultimate expression of winning.

The cry of a stepfather this last week pushed a frenzied mob to start fires and destroy police vehicles. The anger and rage of the step-dad was understandable but his choice to express himself in this fashion didn’t honor the memory of his stepson or help with the racial turmoil in his city. It’s time for adults to act like adults and show common sense, moral integrity and compassion in tough situations. It’s too easy to allow emotions and a mob mentality to rule our actions, which ultimately do more harm and damage then the incident that has pushed us over the edge.

I work with at risk youth and often struggle with the quickness of too many teens to disrespect authority, parents and elders because there is this misunderstanding gap that supposedly exists. I too was a rebellious teen in the 60’s and can remember truly believing that I couldn’t trust anyone over 20 and that all authority figures were clueless and inheritably evil. Now that I’m old I can honestly look back and admit that I should have listened to my parents and older friends more. I was fortunate to have a scout leader that pushed me to excel and stay on the right path.


The opportunity before us is to step back and instead of automatically judging all youth as being delinquents and evil remember your story and what it took for your life to be turned in the right direction. What was it that inspired you to follow through with your life journey and not quit or use your emotions to purposely hurt someone else? I honestly believe if the Michael Browns of this world had mentors, big brothers or a tio that invested in him we would see less of the youth disconnect and more of a movement to pay it forward instead of assuming that the world owes me everything.

No comments:

Post a Comment