Saturday, November 1, 2014

It's perfectly normal to be tired after a long day's work!

The last knock at the door and bark of the dogs just finished a few minutes ago. It’s Halloween and the crowds didn’t really appear like last year. There is still a large bag of candy from Costco still untouched along with a half a bag. My wife was sure that we would go through at least 3 bags of candy or more. I had spent most of the day going from meeting to meeting. I had my button pushed by someone that stalled and made me wait almost an hour for a meeting. I usually leave after about 15 minutes and a text with no response. So after taking a couple of kids trick or treating I am ready to collapse.

I know that at times it is difficult to admit to myself that it’s ok to be exhausted and actually go to bed without feeling any guilt. I have lived too often in the myth of being the energizer bunny that keeps going, going and going. The challenge is at some point your batteries have to be replaced and as you pretend to act like your tank is still full you slow down to a snail’s pace! I have learned that it is ok to take power naps and actually be still and not let the phone or e-mail grab my attention or rob me of emotional peace.

I know what irritated me today was not following my gut when it came to assessing a situation that I should have just walked away from and not wasted my time. I get it that time is something that we cant get back and when we end up emotionally distraught over something rather silly that we do end up wasting our inner strength! The good news is that tomorrow is a new day that we can start all over and make better choices and be wiser about how we invest in others and ourselves.

I know that saying NO is one of the most difficult things to do in life. I’ve already had four different people ask me if I would move their stuff tomorrow, which if they all lived close to each other it wouldn’t be a big deal. Yet, the challenge is that everyone is needing for me to go great distances to pick up a frig, a couch, table/chairs and a household’s worth of stuff. So I had to tell someone that I really like that this probably wasn’t going to happen tomorrow. I have learned its best not to promise something that you cant actually do. I admit that I enjoy helping others and get something out it. So its best to be more organized and select a different day to do it.


My mom would always tell me that after a hard days work that I should be tired and not ashamed to go to bed and actually not watch T.V. or today read my iPad. It’s clear that too many fall asleep on the couch as their spouse goes to bed and then wakes to realize that they are abandoned by their own choice and are alone. So it’s time to shut off the T.V. or my iPad and pursue slumber land!

No comments:

Post a Comment