Tuesday, November 11, 2014

Special Thanks to our Veterans and Active Military!

I grew up in a home where it was automatic for me to show respect for someone in uniform. My dad flew B-52’s for his first career in his life. He served over 20 years with a large portion of that being active duty during the Vietnam War. The reason why I’m blogging about this today is to say a BIG THANKS to all who have sacrificed their lives so we could have our freedom, even freedom to express ourselves in such a way that could be disrespectful to our military.

As a kid growing up I never realized the level of commitment that was required for my dad to be part of a B-52 Bomber Squadron. I don’t remember much from my early childhood about what my dad did but have a memory of the sounds of B-52’s taking off in succession. It was something that one never forgets, as the bombers would be called onto alert status and then be off the ground in literal minutes.

My dad was stationed at Glasgow AFB from 1963-1968 at which time the Air Force Base was the home of the 91st Bomb Squadron. I’m not sure whether I totally understood the magnitude of my dad’s B-52 career. All of my friends’ fathers served in some form or fashion with the Bomber Squadron. It was during my teen years that he had many tours of duty being base either at Guam, Thailand or Okinawa. It wasn’t until my dad was elderly that he talked much about his service and the experience of being part of a bomber crew whose mission was to target enemy holdings.

What stands out the most about my dad is that he was very humble about his service to his country. I have no memory of him bragging about his accomplishments ever. It wasn’t until one of his close friends came to visit my dad during his struggles with Dementia that I realized the influence my dad had on many whom he trained over his 20 years of service. I was also clueless about the many times his life was in jeopardy because of flying the Big Plane over enemy territory.

I’m a little ashamed of the fact that for whatever reason I didn’t feel compelled to join the Air Force either before or after college. My dad gave me the impression that he had served more than enough for all three of his sons. I know that I would have been a much better person if I had served. Yet, my dad’s influence in my life continues after his service ended the year I graduated from high school. I will always remember the green flight suit that he wore that had his major clusters on his shoulders.


The freedom which we are privileged to have in this United States of America is truly a gift from those who served and the too many that sacrificed their lives. I want to thank you dad for your 20 years and too many hours in that seat in your B-52.

No comments:

Post a Comment