Friday, April 10, 2015

Enjoy life - be a kid sometimes!

When was the last time that you climbed a tree or ran through the sprinklers? We have created a culture of skipping childhood and going directly to college at the age of like 5! There are way too many that are forcing their kids and themselves to make life so serious and about accomplishing goals that are out of this world. I have a few moms who volunteer for our nonprofit and am amazed at how they take their kid(s) to an after school program everyday of the week and then have various sports on the weekend in addition to their very active church commitments.

The downside to rushing adulthood is that at some point in an individual’s life they have a melt down, burn out or have a nervous breakdown and revert back to living their childhood. So what’s the rush with growing up and missing out on hiking, taking the dogs for a walk or doing something radical like sitting and actually enjoying the beautiful weather? I don’t like promoting people watching at the mall but it can be a lot of fun and enlighten you about the latest fashion trends!

I know that it’s so easy as a parent to truly believe that academics, sports or extracurricular activities are everything that will guarantee your child the best future or is it? How much of what we force our kids and teens to do are more a by-product of our sense of value, worth and accomplishment? I have been coaching a young mom who lives between her first generation Hispanic culture and her young daughter’s bilingual multiracial world. I asked my friend instead of putting so many demands on her daughter to instead flipping it around and think what would make her daughter laugh and have fun! This wasn’t an easy request for this very type A mom who comes across as if she is perfect.

I confess that I’m an old man who loves at times acting like a little kid! I’m so fortunate to be able to work with all aged groups of people from the ages of a year or so to 85. I get my kid fix almost every day as I drive around picking up our kids and teens for our various activities. Last night I listened to one of the most precocious and articulate nine-year-old girls talk non-stop for 30 minutes. She lectured me on the misfortune of spilling the beans or your gut to more than a few. I know that she is a hit amongst our volunteers to tutor, mentor or just listen to her!

So why do we stop doing ‘fun stuff’ as adults. Yes, we have the means to buy our expense play toys but what happened to playing in the backyard, park or hiking one of our amazing ‘little’ mountains in Phoenix? I love this quote at the top of this post, ‘NEVER EVER EVER get rid of the desire to climb a tree or run through the sprinklers!’


If you don’t have kids, grandkids get involved with an at risk youth organization and learn from a kid how to be young and alive!

No comments:

Post a Comment