Wednesday, April 22, 2015

No isn't just for kids!

One of the most powerful and life changing words is NO. Yes, especially for adults. It is so easy to get your own way either through manipulation or just the sheer fact that you can do it regardless of whether it’s what’s best. Too often we allow good things to take precedence over what is best and will change our lives and those around us. I know that as an adult that works with at risk youth and young adults that few ever welcome the word NO. It clearly stops everyone from getting instant gratification and might actually force me to discover the benefit of being forced to slow down and actually think.

I applaud the fortitude of one of my teens that truly believed he could persuade me to borrow my new truck for his prom date. I chuckled when he texted me back with a LOL and ha-ha when it came to my simple statement, ‘NO! I don’t allow anyone regardless of age to ever borrow my truck!’ I also received another text from an adult who had done something rather crazy, supposedly lost a bunch of money that was borrowed from a friend. The request was can I borrow $400 and I will pay you back. I didn’t expect to get any flack from this individual when I said no. Yet, I have memories of someone else who was unemployed asking for the same amount for a vacation. This person got rather upset when I said NO and explained that it wasn’t time for vacationing but finding employment.

The real benefit of hearing no at the right time is that it forces you to get on the right track and actually start doing what’s right for you. I will always remember one of the biggest heartaches in my life that forced me to re-evaluate my direction and passion in life. I was in the middle of doing a church plant when the inner leadership and I collided over direction, style and my place in the process. All I know was that my world was initially shattered but soon came back together to see me doing what I love and am gifted to do. This wasn’t necessarily something I would wish upon anyone but ultimately it helped me to open my eyes and see that when the right NO comes there is always a big YES around the corner.

Yes the word NO might interfere with my playtime or wants in life for a short time. The great news is that I have never really suffered too long after hearing the word NO. I was taught at a young age to THINK about what was happening around me and understand that NO can be the pathway to a better tomorrow! 

No comments:

Post a Comment