Thursday, April 23, 2015

Graduations = dream come true!

Today I will sit through a couple hours of celebration as a few close friends that have been interns with me will graduate from Grand Canyon University. I want to take a minute to highlight and thank my special friend, who is like a third daughter to me, Tiffany. She is an amazing young woman who will be a change agent and influencer in the world around her. Over the last four years she has won a place in my heart and all of our kids, teens and seniors.
Tiffany has spent the last 3 years being an intern during the school year with New City – Barrio Nuevo and then in the summers has lived with us and worked full time. I always joke about her need to become an early riser or an avid reader. I will concede a little on these matters to brag about my Tiffany as someone who isn’t afraid to jump in the fray. She is the risk taker type who is willing to help those that usually would have been forgotten or deemed unworthy recipients because they are the wild child types.
Tiffany will be the first from her family to graduate from College! I know that her mom, dad and brother are so proud of her accomplishments and her heart to be a servant leader in the truest fashion. Tiffany has a passion for being a ‘baller’, i.e. someone who loves playing basketball. Her willingness to drive for the basket or jump for a rebound against a guy, yes a guy, that is twice her weight and much taller is impressive! It’s this tenacity that has made her such a success working with at risk youth.
I have learned so much about life watching Tiffany both love on our kids and teens by always being available and also not being afraid to speak the truth, which hurts, with tough love. She has always been one who is attracted to kids and teens that come out of really tough situations. She is someone that is willing to get in the middle of it and not be afraid of getting hurt. Much like her drive on the court she is an amazing young woman that is willing to dive into the middle of a family or personal mess and speak life into someone that is falling apart!
The only areas we have fought a little is over her attraction for my dog Freckles who is a Dalmatian and Pit Bull mix. Her loud screeching voice quickly draws my little Freck into her lap. I admit that I have pushed Tiff to be a reader and thinker. I have lots of great memories of her coming over late at night to get help on writing papers. She is a very willing learner who I pray will discover her career passion in the arena of working with at risk population in the court system.
I will forgive her for the only mishap over the years was a little collision with another vehicle in our little van. Clearly it wasn’t her fault and the other car drove off and didn’t fess up to the crime of attacking our van’s sliding door. Today will go down in the Bennett’s family memories as the culmination of watching a lively older teen turn into an amazing adult woman with a passion to change the world. 
Congratulations Tiffany you are going to rock the world around you! Thanks for allowing Anne and myself to part of your life. We love you and are so proud of you!

No comments:

Post a Comment