Tuesday, December 13, 2011

Customer of the Week?

I have to confess that I do live at my Starbucks in the morning. Whether we are walking the dogs, meeting with someone or just chilling I always make my way to get a cup of coffee. It would be interesting to have kept track of the different people I have met over the last 3 years since it opened. Most of the baristas have become friends. The manager Joseph has become a great friend, which has helped both of us put on different events for the community.

It was last February that Joseph got his nerve up to ask me if I would help him with putting on a community event in the larger strip mall on 19th Avenue and Baseline. This began a journey that has seen us work together in some amazing ways. I know that Joseph doesn’t share my theological views. There had been an older barista, who is a Christian, which would be too quick to judge him at times. I don’t expect Joseph to act like or talk like a believer because he isn’t. This doesn’t stop him from helping me to community service that shows forth God’s heart for the community.

The culmination of a few months worth of working together was a Saturday event that saw over 25 vendors participate and close to a 1000 people come. It was during this time that we became good friends. It always surprises me when a manager type of person sits down with you and talks for like an hour or so. He loves to scheme and dream with me.

So it wasn’t any surprise when I get a text from one of the baristas, who is a good friend and says that I am customer of the week. My wife would say that I am one of the major supporter’s of this location and that if we were to move it would go under. So I come in this morning to get our usual venti cup of coffee to share. Just as Joseph is putting the cup back on the counter after a refill I accidently knock over the large cup of coffee on the counter. I felt like an idiot! The gentleman behind me was more concerned about my iPhone getting coffee on it. Yeah the phone isn’t coffee proof.

Like any messes in life it doesn’t take too long to fix with instant attention. I quickly get my phone, lift up the cash register and watch the barista quickly mop up the coffee mess. Yes, 20 ounces of coffee is a lot so it took a couple of towels to clean it all up. The mess is gone, I feel like a fool and Joseph now can make wise cracks about me. Yes, the other barista quickly added that Joseph should go wear the angry bird hat that I had brought earlier last week.

It is great to have friends and once in a while be honored or loved! I want to thank Tamika my favorite barista for making me customer of the week to get my free cup of venti coffee.

No comments:

Post a Comment