Friday, December 23, 2011

A New Home for Nemo

One of my passions as a youth that has been sustained into adulthood has been my interest in aquatics. I think my dad was the one who got me hooked, pardon the pun, on fish. It was a little 5-gallon tank when I was in the first grade. I can remember going to the fish store in downtown Sacramento. We had a little school of Neon Tetras. Yeah, I also had a little mermaid, boat and shark that had bubbles going through it. My habit didn’t change much until I got married.

I can remember Anne and mine 2-bedroom apartment in College. We had been married about 6 months and transitioned from a studio apartment to a real apartment that had 2 bedrooms and a great living and dinning area. Anne was the one to restart my fish habit. It again started out with a 10-gallon tank that eventually ballooned into a 75-gallon tank and a 55-gallon tank. I was blessed, as a fish person, to be close to Santa Barbara that had some unusual fish stores. So it wasn’t too long before I was really hooked again

Our transition from San Luis to the Bay Area was over night with the sudden surprise birth of our oldest. It didn’t help that I got a real job being paid big bucks to add fuel or ‘bait’ to my fish obsession. So all of a sudden I had a 100-gallon tank with fish that were huge, literally 2-3 feet long and weighed in the pounds not ounces. The point of this story is to show how I have come full circle after recently selling my two 125 gallon tanks as we downsized to a different house. I left behind a large koi pond.

The only tank that was left was a Nano or very small tank for a lone Nemo fish. I am sure most of you have watched or seen Nemo movie(s). The little guy has always been in my office so I have a real affection for him. He recognizes me and eats out of my hand almost. So Nemo and his tank made it to our new house minus the large tanks. I did manage to do a small above ground pond in the back for a few of my koi from our old house.

I do have to attempt to justify my habit by saying that I bought all of my tanks off of craigslist from people who had gotten burned out with their fish and let go tanks that literally costs $1,000 for next to nothing So when Nemo’s lights went out this last week I struggled with what I should do? The lights alone for saltwater tanks are like $30-40 each. The little guy had 2 bulbs, one for day and one for night. It was bad enough the lights died but after buy new bulbs I discovered that his actual light hood had died. Ouch this would cost me more than what I paid for his tank and stand combined. So back on craigslist and I found another Nano tank for less than the expense of a new hood with lights. This tank is actually bigger and has a better set up. So some would say why spend all this money just on a little fish. Why not flush him or take him to the fish store.

The answer has lots to do with the real meaning of Christmas. My wife is the one actually who empowered me to get Nemo a new home. How can I flush a real friend and pretend it doesn’t matter. So why would God not just say let’s ‘flush’ the whole world after it has totally turned it’s back on me? At least I can rationalize that Nemo greets me all of the time and actually notices me. I can’t say the same thing about my relationship with God. I tend to forget about Him until life throws me a curve ball. Then I am quick to be on my knees crying out for help.

The great news is that God is also in the process of making us a new home – tank that will be even better than the present world we inhabit. I know that the initial move for Nemo was rather traumatic. I also know that it is impossible to really have any sense of what heaven will actually look like and how we will live. Yes, there have been books written that talk about experiences of a few who have been blessed to actually see the glorious new home and see family and friends and then be sent back to encourage to understand that Heaven is real and that most of all that Jesus’ love is true and powerful.

So if I am willing to go to as much effort to give my little Nemo a new home ought we be just as willing to help those around us that don’t have homes find homes. It shames me to think that most middle class types, like myself, spend so much on our pets and hobbies. Yet, we are usually so slow to care and discover those around us that need real love and care. I have blessed by so many in order to be a blessing to others. The last couple of weeks I have had different group share their resources to give a real Christmas to my kids and families. I have spent the last 2 mornings handing out hams to a large of friends that wouldn’t have much. Many have received food baskets that have helped stretch the little that they have.

I’m glad that I got my little Nemo a new home but much more thrilled to be able to help others discover that the great home we can ever have is with Jesus who can change our hearts to understand the message of grace and mercy which is the message of Christmas.

No comments:

Post a Comment