Monday, December 19, 2011

Persistence

I know that many will look at me as someone that does not give up or quit regardless of circumstances. What makes the difference too often between those who fail and those who succeed is just 15 minutes. Yeah, 15 minutes where you choose to get back up, dust off your feet and keep doing it. Yet, the reality is that most would rather sleep another 15 minutes and be late. I will tease most around by saying that the early bird does catch the worm. Jesus did have a habit of getting up really early, like before the sun came up to pray, meditate and plan.

I confess that I can be annoying at times because I don’t give up or quit. I may not come out and ask for a specific type of gift but I push for people to be involved in making a difference in another person’s life. I know that even with my teens or some of my grandparents that I can hear them say, “There’s Dave again wanting us to be involved!”

Too often I encounter earlier risers at my Starbucks whose goal is to persuade me to read the Watch Tower. I will smile, applaud them for their zeal but then attempt to explain that their efforts are misguided. I do get annoyed with the homeless person who continues to frequent the McDonalds or Hot Dog Stand where I go because he either makes the excuse that he needs $$ for diapers or some other lame thing. I eventually tell him that I’ll get him a hot and spicy or a Sonoran Dog.

My real purpose in writing this is to talk briefly about a few who have been blessed by having their house painted but have chosen not to be involved with Barrio/New City. I struggle with knowing whether to provide gifts or special things when I have limited resources. There is one who is a 40 or 50 something that is living with her mom, one of my awesome Grandmas. So when we had our last Christmas Party and gifts were given out she didn’t get one because she’s not a grandma and hasn’t done anything to help.

I was a little upset with being cornered and pressured to give her something. My simple response was that there wasn’t a gift card or food box for her because her mom got it. I wasn’t being cruel on purpose but had explained the reasoning behind why we gave out gifts. It’s not that this person doesn’t have any needs but my hope is to help her see that it is her turn to step up and do something for others first instead of expecting something for nothing.

I know that this person has argued with me in the past to have her picture be in our publications. She and her sister have helped out in the past with doing cooking. My heart still struggles with someone who wants a hand out and not a hand up. She is blessed to have a mom who is supporting her but ultimately she will have to step up for herself. I know that Grandma gets upset at times with her grandkids who don’t do much besides hang out and expect someone else to pay their way. So I know that my grandma will kick out some of her grandkids to help them figure out life.

I got another call from another grandma, who I have helped out before, who asked in the right way for help with a food basket. I will go to the store and buy a gift card for her Christmas present. I will also buy around 30 hams to give out to different families. Yes, I will drop one off at this one gal’s house for her and grandma to enjoy for Christmas. I know that Jesus didn’t do miracles or help everyone around him. Sometimes even Jesus had a cold reception, especially in his own neighborhood, where he left with I’m sure a sad and even confused feeling.

So sometimes I will be part of an incredible day where most are blessed by giving and many by receiving. Yet, when someone complains about the gift they didn’t get or the fact that they weren’t included is just a part of normal life. I will remember one of our first Christmases with our kids. Grandma Mary was with us and had brought 1,000 of gifts for everyone. After all of the gifts were opened and the comparison thing was being done it was clear that one of my kids felt ‘jipped’ and literally feel on the floor screaming and crying. Wow – I didn’t know what to do, especially with Grandma present. We talked and listened and discovered that the gift she really wanted she was too afraid to ask and then another sibling got her gift.

I know that deep down inside I wasn’t much different at Christmas as a little kid. I was spoiled to have generous parents, who had the means, usually to get me what I wanted not necessarily what I needed. The great news is that God has given us the best present that is exactly what we need.

No comments:

Post a Comment