Friday, December 9, 2011

Encounter

As I touch my frosted laptop this morning I’m writing about the joy and challenge of connecting with people. I know it would be easy for me to right in a less then positive fashion about some of the moms or dad’s that I relate back to when it comes to the ongoing care of their kids. It would be too easy to be Grinch like and bash someone for not acting or being more like the supposed norm in society.

I don’t like to talk on the phone to someone that should have the courtesy of meeting with me face to face. Especially when I have been helping or housing their teens. I can quickly judge someone without understanding his or her present life journey. I too am quick to make excuses at times for my lack of follow through in certain circumstances. Yes I choose at times to not answer my cell when I am driving or busy doing some work. It is possible that the person calling might think that I am stubbing them. I will call back when it works better for me. So I too could be judged at times for not wanting to talk on the phone and just wanting to text instead.

Last night after doing a good deed with some of my teens I pull into my driveway to get a video game for one of my guys. My live in teen quickly rushes out and asks me if I want to talk with her mom. I quickly say no because I want to talk face to face. The mom quickly responds back with something like my car is overheating. I could have made a quick comeback that it is like 40 degrees and I can’t fathom this is really happening. I don’t and just say let’s meet soon.

This morning I had just returned from getting coffee for me and tea for Anne. I was finishing up Anne’s lunch and ready to leave to deliver some food to a needy family when I hear the dogs back in annoying fashion. I am folding laundry in my room when the mom appears. Ouch! I really was focused on getting out of the house and being able to write and deliver food and flyers. So we talk and I am pleasantly pleased to see this mom in a good mind frame and totally receptive to what I have to say. It’s not that I want to ‘rag’ on her or beat up her teens. I just want to partner together and help her two do better in school and normal day-to-day stuff.

I know that in the past this probably would have been a screaming fest. I really have no intention of being right or putting someone down but want to share the responsibility of rearing these teens. So as I finish this blog I am so jazzed that my encounter was actually a good thing and I didn’t have to control my temper or anger.

No comments:

Post a Comment