Tuesday, October 2, 2012

Dave's Head Lost to a Steel Beam :(


As a kid growing up my mom was quick to teach me that there was always good in a person if you look far enough. She was also one to tout the glass is half full not half empty mindset. I was also taught to count my blessings each day and not allow the sun to set before remembering the great news for the day and not allow the ‘bad stuff’ to be stuck in my mind.

I am fortunate to be part of different types of events on a consistent basis. This last Saturday we painted a close friend’s dream come true, a downtown building that is being used for church and a coffee shop. This was our largest project for a single site. I had 4 different groups helping paint between three different sprayers and a youth group from a local church in South Phoenix. As we were setting up my other son, Terrance, was helping me pull a part a couple of buckets that saw the handle break and me go crashing to the ground and then colliding with a steel beam.

My head lost out to this steel beam. It was almost comical as I felt myself fall to the ground and then feel my head go wonk into the beam. I couldn’t tell at first whether or not I had a head wound. I quickly touched my head and knew there was blood. My key leader, Matt, was on me in seconds. He took me inside the coffee shop and gave me first aid. He cleaned up the blood from my hair and neck and then had me bandaged and I was back in the action. He told me to cool it and not do too much.

As we were winding down and finishing I decided to take a load of our ladders and equipment back to our storage unit. This was rather fast using both the truck and the big van. As we are going back I get a call from a couple of key leaders who are now done and leaving. As I get back I see my two other sprayer guys still working. I realize that my main guy, Bruce, is having some problems with his sprayer. This meant that we didn’t finish painting a portion of one of the sides. It would have been so easy with the sprayer to have finished except for the front with the red beams.

Yeah, this was a very successful painting day with 30 youth painting the parking structure and concrete parking stops red and 80% of the 8th Day Building was finished but……. So as I share about the next day’s BBQ it too was a very successful time with many adults and youth enjoying a time hanging out and enjoying some incredible carne asada. One of the struggles of working with at risk youth and marginalized neighborhoods is that people do crazy stuff. (I confess that bad stuff happens in all neighborhoods regardless of location.)

As we are finishing the BBQ and deciding who takes whom home I realize something rather important is missing. I’m always at a loss when it comes to handling someone with ‘sticky fingers’. I have been around a large variety of items that have been lifted by different individuals that range from little kids to adults. I have seen a ring of older teens that use younger kids to steal stuff, which they sell to someone else. I actually had an 8-year-old steal something a couple of years ago out of our house but eventually caught up with him. He confessed to his crime, repented but then proceeded to do something rather bizarre, he faked being hit by a car, we called 911 and he was taken to the ER. He ultimately was found out and got into big trouble.

Yes, I have seen fights over stray dogs, phones, iPods and $$. So I know that anything I have could be lusted after by someone and be gone. So as this evening finished I was a little upset to think that a few of the new kids who had visited might have purposely taken something that others could have used. I calmed down after the fact and realized that God is more than able to get the attention of the few who do crazy things. I know from experience that the ‘pat down’ routine doesn’t usually surface any stolen items. I also know that a threat of torture or being grounded doesn’t help either.

I am thankful that God is teaching me that He is the one who ultimately provides so I shouldn’t become too attached to possessions or take things personally. Yet, I do get upset and as I have said in the last few blogs actually get mad. I pray that God convicts the hearts of a few who at times ruin it for the majority. I can remember in school being really upset when a few in the classroom destroyed a trip or future event. I’m thankful that no one can ruin or touch the ultimate event – our home in heaven!


No comments:

Post a Comment