Thursday, October 11, 2012

Time


I know that younger people have the common perception that the old can’t have any fun. I assumed when I was a teen or twenty something that life must end when you turn 40 and especially when you turn 50. Yet, what I’m discovering in life is that age doesn’t in and of itself determine the quality of your life? I can experience just as much adventure and blessing of friendship even more so as I get older.

It is difficult at times to admit that I will be 60 in a year. Yeah, that’s supposed to be when people crawl into a cave and disappear. Yet, most of the examples I have of people around me is the total opposite. I know that my father in-law is still the energizer bunny at 85. He’s has been more significant in kingdom work in the last 25 years than when he was a 28 year old on his way to Pakistan. I have a handful of 90 year old grandmas from different churches I’ve pastored that still write me long letters with perfect penmanship that show their God centered hearts.

I know that for me the joy of my life, next to the Lord, truly is my Anne. She has been and will continue to be my best friend and partner in adventure. We have done some rather crazy things in life together. I celebrated my birthday a month ago and decided that we would get mountain bikes so we could start riding together. It has actually been so much fun and great exercise over the last few weeks to ride in the morning after our pre-dawn dog walks. I know that one of the key ingredients that can’t be compromised if you are going to grow a relationship is spending time together.

We went on a day trip this last Monday. We decided to take the herd, that is Graham, Freckles, Carly and Peanut on a ride to an area outside of Sedona so they can experience some wetness, lots of trees and some open areas. I assumed, incorrectly, that the park would be empty and we could easily go for our walk with the dogs off the leash. Unfortunately, Columbus Day turned out to be a real holiday for many. So we ended going through Sedona to Flagstaff and went to an area we typically play in the snow and let the dogs enjoy the Pine Trees and the open fields.

Yeah, when we were in our 30’s – 40’s we would take groups to hike up Half Dome in Yosemite. This is a rather strenuous hike that goes close to 20 miles round trip and climbs over 4,000 feet. We have taken probably 20 groups up this amazing trail over the years. Yes, we will make the trek in the coming year to celebrate turning 60 next year! I’m excited to see how much of the trail I still remember between Vernal Falls, Nevada Falls and Little Yosemite Valley.

It was yesterday’s conversation with a 20 something guy that was going on a date with the hopes that God would bring him his bride that ‘spawned’ the conversation about what is required to make relationship work and it wasn’t necessarily lust or sex. (These do happen don’t get me wrong but being together in a hand holding and looking at each other mode is so important.)

Yes, I love my bride who I met when I was 19 and she was 18. I did understand her dad’s concern when we wed at 19 and 20 that we were too young, broke and uneducated. Yet, the blessing is that we have grown up together and experienced an incredible life that is a reflection of God’s personality and gift of creativity! So don’t assume that the person with gray hair is a total has been!

No comments:

Post a Comment