Tuesday, October 16, 2012

Shocking News!


I typically read the news via my iPad before going to bed. Yesterday we had taken our dogs for a trip to Payson to go hiking in the Pines. It was an amazing day and chance to get away from all of the normal routine of life. After returning I checked the news and discovered that my dad’s neurologist had been killed. He was only 38 and a leader in the field of Alzheimer’s research. He was part of the Barrow’s Institute in Phoenix. I was left numb after seeing this online article about a doctor being hit by a car while riding his bike. After looking at the article I saw his picture.

I can’t imagine the shock and heartache his wife is experiencing right now. I will always remember this doctor for his willingness to sit down with me and go over my dad’s MRI. My dad had been in a senior care facility for a couple of years and had a doctor oversee his care but had never been officially diagnosed with any type of memory loss issues. I wasn’t thrilled that he had a mild stroke but it meant that he was at St. Joseph’s Hospital, which also ‘houses’ the Barrow’s Neurological Institute. He was given a CAT Scan and also a MRI.

It was during a follow up visit that I met Dr. Malouf in a real way. He visited my dad a few times during his stay at St. Joe’s. As I walked into his office and had a MA do a normal memory loss test I could see that my dad wasn’t capable of reading, following simple directions or distinguishing between days of the week or the time. I was a little taken back by the severity of the disease.

I didn’t know what to expect when the neurologist finally came into the office. He sat down and talked to my dad and not me initially. He focused on my dad and gave him real eye contact and tried to get him to respond to life questions. After this he took me into his office where he brought up my dad’s MRI of his brain. I was so appreciative of the time the doctor took to walk me through the result of the MRI. I saw different slides of my dad’s brain and understood where there had been oxygen deprivation and other serious issues.

We talked for about 30 more minutes about what to expect, treatment and the best type of facility for his ongoing care. I didn’t like the results but needed to see first hand what the impact of memory loss disease had on my dad. I understood now that the disease had progressed way more than I had expected. I also understood what was the best way to help my dad. He needed more exercise and getting out along with real stimulation. The last thing he needed was lying on his bed strictly watching T.V.

I am no expert on memory loss but have come to understand the journey of those with loved ones who have Dementia or Altzhimier’s Disease. It takes lots of patience and understanding to help your loved one have the best life in spite of the circumstances. My dad presently is doing the best he has done in the last year or so. Part of this is being in a better care facility that totally caters to memory loss individuals.
I am still grieving the loss of Dr. Malouf. He was a senior fellow that had many students underneath him in addition to being a research fellow. I am sadden that someone driving didn’t pay attention to the road or his bike and hit him and then left the scene of the accident. It is unfortunate that I can’t personally express to his wife my appreciation for her husband’s heart in helping my dad who is still alive with Dementia at almost 83 years of age. Thanks Dr. Malouf for your passion is helping those with Alzheimer’s disease!

No comments:

Post a Comment