Monday, October 22, 2012

Dave's Not Mad Anymore - Find Out Why


This last Saturday we took we a group of our little guys hiking at South Mountain. We did the Summit Trail, which means we hiked 2 miles up and then 2 miles back down. We gained approximately 1,300 feet elevation. What was amazing was that all of the little kids but the littlest made it to the top! The weather is changing in Phoenix so it was actually a little chilly as we walked along the dirt and rock trail.

What was exciting about this hike was that we had Pee Pee and his brothers back with us. The mom, who had taken her kids back from grandma, has decided to let them be involved with New City activities. She didn’t move to the far west side but lives on the South Side like the rest of us. So what has happened is that grandma gets the guys on the weekends and a few nights a week depending upon what is happening.

It seems like only yesterday that we painted Mrs. Jefferson’s house who in turn led me to paint the sisters, Sarah, Glenda and Ruby’s houses almost 4 years ago. I can remember when little Pee was really little, like only 2 years old. He was always running around half naked without much on and had this habit, much to Grandma’s dismay of taking off his diaper. Yet, as we hiked up the summit trail of South Mountain on Saturday it was  Pee that raced along the trail with all of the other little guys.

I’m proud of all my little guys who are seeing that life is in God’s hands as they hang out with many of our volunteers who really care about them big time. I know that I can’t adopt all of them, even though I think my Anne thinks I’ll bring home a few and hide them. My real prayer is that their mom will continue to learn, grow and become the best mom for them with a grandma that can help on occasion.  I know that these guys will always come out of the woodwork if I drive my van or truck on their street.

Our ultimate goal is to help the family be the family. We aren’t there to take the place of the family, even though at times that happens. It was exciting hiking to the top with the little guys who had a blast. So a big thanks to all of you who prayed for the little guys after reading my blog a few months ago. God is at work and as my Anne would say the little “Hellians” are starting to get it and grow up. 

No comments:

Post a Comment