Tuesday, February 24, 2015

Cancer - face it and live for today!

This morning I arose before the sun peaked out amongst the clouds to get ready for skin cancer surgery. I have been tortured over the last 7 years with a variety of procedures that remove the non-life threatening type of skin cancer. I'm fortunate to only be irritated with this form of cancer. I know that as a youth and adult that I loved the sun and enjoyed, especially in college, being able to surf in the ocean. Contrary to my wife's preference I would love to lie out on a beach towel with the sand between my toes and get baked. I realized now that I should have used sun screen and my concrete or construction days would have been better with a shirt on my back than going topless.

I really don't like going to any doctor but have made the concession to visit my dermatologist twice a year. The burns and slices I receive to remove my skin cancer is truly nothing in comparison to the surgeries, chemo-treatments and medications that my mom took over almost a decade. I have little comprehension of how sick everyone feels who have to do chemo on a continual basis to attack the cancer that is taking over their body.

My Mohs procedure this morning wasn't a big deal to me but clearly the doctor doing the slicing wanted to convey that this could become serious if left unchecked. I had a Basal Cell Carcinoma site on my leg just below my knee. Because I have Psoriasis it isn't always easy to know what is skin cancer instead of a scaly spot. Never the less after a few injections my site was totally numb and the slice of the knife didn't pose a threat to my discomfort until later on today. I have lost track of whether I'm up to probably 20 slices or burns but somewhere in that arena.

I'm clearly thankful that my type of cancer at most will mean that I'll have to wear a T-Shirt on sunny days. Whereas, I watched my mom fight for her life over a period of three years. She had breast cancer and after surgery believed that she was in remission but after a couple of years the cancer returned in full force. I sadly remember the side effects of the chemo that she would get on a weekly basis. She would be left exhausted, sick to her stomach and incapable of eating for a day or so. My mom was my hero because she faced this with a determination and faith that touched my life.

I became my mom's advocate during this period and would commute to San Diego for her monthly visit with her Oncologist. I wanted to understand whether the treatment had any real impact on her cancer's progression. The reality was that her cancer wasn't DNA specific so the chemo didn't have any real impact. I ended up fighting with my dad and the doctor to stop the treatment if there wasn't any clear sign of remission taking place. I learned so much about compassion, loving someone who is dying and listening before expressing myself.

I know that cancer will touch most families and at some point you will be faced with an end of life decision. My mom and dad decided to stay in their tiny little house while my mom went through her last year of struggling with the cancer's progression and her getting sicker from the chemo. My consolation in the midst of her battle was that I was able to persuade her and my dad to stop treatment so she could be capable of seeing her son, my brother, graduate from the University of California at Santa Barbara with his PhD in Spanish.

It was a few months after this milestone in our family that she came to her last few weeks. It took some arm twisting and persuading to get my dad, who was emotionally exhausted at this point, to allow Hospice to make home visits to help my mom with pain meds. I will always remember my dad and I arguing about this and then after the nurses started to visit and give her morphine my dad would go off on me and ask why I hadn't told him sooner about this amazing help that Hospice provides.

Looking back my mom taught me how to face my own mortality. Every time I would see her she would always ask me if there was something I wanted to ask or say. She would go out of her way to tell me that she loved me and that she had no regrets in life. She was an amazing lady who cared for my dad as he watched his lady slowly deteriorate. I will always remember that phone call at 3 am on that Thursday morning. My dad was on a spiritual high because his lady had passed from this horrible battle with cancer to her heavenly home to experience real peace and wholeness.


Please don't be like me and go to the doctor, get the help, advice and multiple opinions before you decide about your course of treatment!  Life is truly a gift so guard it and enjoy it to the max!

No comments:

Post a Comment