Tuesday, February 10, 2015

Helping Others Ultimately Helps YOU!

Do you ever feel as if the world is collapsing around you? Remember Chicken Little’s statement that the sky is falling? Sometimes I feel overwhelmed with hearing the stories of those around me. I just left a friend who is recently unemployed and struggles with alcoholism. As I’m doing this blog I receive a message from another friend that is in a tough place with a baby soon to come and has burned all of her bridges. I faced the potential news this summer that my wife could have breast cancer. I had someone I had helped much over the years put an order of harassment against me. I had another friend borrow my truck without permission to hear a day later that it had been totaled while I was away on vacation.

My mom would always tell me to look up and know that tomorrow will be a better day. I totally agree with my mom’s advice, yet as I watched her slowly die from cancer I knew that the better day would be when she left for a better home in heaven. Recently had a good friend text me that the reason her family missed our homeless outreach was because their beloved dog of 10 years passed during the night. Her three boys were emotionally devastated! Heartache is a common experience for everyone regardless of race or economics.

As I reflect on the last week of my life I have some rather amazing friends who come out of the woodwork to encourage me and love me when I’m overwhelmed. They might not even know that the call they made or quick e-mail or text helped me go on without collapsing in a spiritual fog. This last week I was hurt in a way that you can’t measure. It’s like being betrayed by someone who you thought would never do anything revengeful to you.

I know that the minute I have to involve police or county workers in my life that I have to be accountable to someone else that might not understand the circumstances around my life passion. So how is it possible to not break down when you hear horrible news like this young Prescott gal who had given her life to helping those in distressed areas of the world that might possibly have been killed in a bomb raid? I honestly have come to see that much in life you can’t avoid and there isn’t any short cut to facing the pain of broken relationships or betrayal. Yet, the great news is that as I see those around me that are hurting and choose to do something positive for them that my load or burden seems to lessen.  I gain perspective that my life is a lot better than I want to admit.

How is it possible that when I give I ultimately receive? I know that choosing to do the ‘dirty’ work when no one else is around means you get blisters and for me paint on my new shoes but the blessing is that I just helped one of my grandmas. Jesus gave an incredible example that didn’t make much sense according to today’s life principles. If you want to be great then be a servant of all? If you want to be first then be willing to step to the back of the line? If you want name recognition then choose to be the person that saved someone from a fiery car crash and decides to quietly disappear. The Phoenix Fire Department is still looking for this quiet hero!
I know that self-help books have multiplied over the years. You can walk through a Borders or go online and see the long list on amazon. The reality is that a book can give you great advice or principles but ultimately its when you choose to give your life to another that emotional healing can begin.  It’s not easy to face the toxicity of the world around you without becoming bitter or resentful. Why do people continue to do bad things that hurt innocent people? I know that the path to self –discovery and healing takes time but when you include someone else by being a helper today can improve  your circumstances and tomorrow will be a new opportunity to experience a better life!


I really like this quote on the backdrop of this post, “Your greatest test is when you are able to bless someone else while you are going through your own storm.”

No comments:

Post a Comment