Monday, February 23, 2015

Is winning really everything? Learn how to be a gracious loser!


How many remember those who gave their best effort after years of training in the Olympics when they finish last? Yet, the incredible amount of effort, training and sacrifice made by all Olympians shows how incredible these people are who have given up a significant part of their life to compete for their country. So what has to happen for our little kids growing up to understand that losing is a natural part of life that is so much more important to understand than winning?

Over the weekend my group of rag tag teens from the Barrio played a basketball tournament with a group of close Korean friends.  These are amazing guys but so competitive that it is interesting to watch them deal with not winning but actually coming in third. I chuckled to myself as I talked to a few of the key leaders for their team to realize that they hadn’t slept much during the night after their loss in attempting to figure out what had happened? Philosophically it did matter to them whether they played a zone or man-to-man defense? Yet the more important factor, which they ultimately agreed about, was this was more about being together and having fun than getting a trophy.

So what would happen if we decided to turn the tables and give out trophies for those who did their best but came in last? What about all of those geeky guys and gals or when I was a teen those straight laced types that hated sports and cringed when they were always chosen last to play? I do admit that I struggle with how sports has become the major obsession with most guys and that losing becomes the sign of weakness and not being a real man’s man. The reality is that one of the best teachers in life is failure. What should determine whether you are a winner is how many times you have had to stand back up after you have fallen!

Yes, losing becomes a pathway to understanding the real meaning of life. I agree that teamwork and having an incredible coach is so important in life. Yet, what happens to the majority of people that don’t make the team and don’t have a coach? It’s time that we see our parents, teachers, youth pastors and neighbors as potentially being that special person for us, especially when we lose after we have done our best.  I can remember my mom so often giving me that look of being so proud of me after losing a game where I was actually the one that lost it. This was so much more important looking back then the few times when I was actually the star of a Little League Game.

The notion of becoming a gracious loser begins with the way you and me decide to approach life circumstances today. What would happen if we talked more about our failures than our successes?  What if I let go of the winning is everything mindset to being more honest and real with how I deal with my personal losses? When was the last time that you encouraged someone going through a tough time instead of giving them a sense of shame because clearly something must be wrong with them if they experience failure.

Yes, what matters most isn't winning or losing but whether you get back up after losing and keep trying! Sometimes winners become the losers and losers become the real winners!


No comments:

Post a Comment