Tuesday, February 17, 2015

Still Alice, Still Ed - Alzheimer's disease is something everyone will face!

I confess that I cried my way through the movie, Still Alice, which may have not gotten rave reviews but is a must see for everyone. It’s only a matter of time before someone in your life will face memory loss issues.  The movie portrays what it would be like to live as a renowned college professor at a prestigious university and one day discover that you are lost on your run on campus. You rush into your lecture and have to ask the students where are we on the syllabus? The worst fate is when this intellectual genius type of mom is humbled to visit a neurologist to discover that she has a rare form of Alzheimer’s disease that can be genetically transmitted to her kids and their kids.

Initially Alice is great at using her iPhone to cover up for her little mishaps. The difficulty is when her doctor pushes her to take a DNA test to if she has the rare form of the disease. During family special dinners it becomes obvious to her overachieving adult kids that something isn’t exactly ok with their together mom. It’s in the middle of the night when she can’t sleep that she wakes her PhD husband to tell him the news. He’s an initial naysayer only to sit in with the Neurologist to discover that his wife will lose her memory and identity too soon.

If you are still reading this post I have to be transparent and say that I watched my dad go from being a former Vietnam B-52 flyer that flew all over the world and never got lost to an aging senior that one day took 2 hours to come home with Domino’s Pizza. I admit that while my mom was struggling with her cancer that she purposely hid from me and my brother’s my dad’s absent mindedness. I cried thinking how I should have put it all together and helped my mom get help for my dad in the midst of her chemo. This never happened and I watched my dad retreat into his cave or home where he became paranoid about spies from Southeast Asia coming to kill him. He truly believed that the President was also out to get him.

I have too many memories of trying to correct my dad only to discover that he lived in a parallel universe. I learned to listen, laugh and cry as my dad told me stories of how he traveled the world with his lady. It took a lot of courage to take my dad out of his cave in San Diego and have him relocate to be with my family and me. I dreaded the day I would have to tell him to pack and leave his little house where he had cared for his dying bride over a decade. Yet, the day came and he actually responded, packed a few suitcases and quietly left with me. Little did I know the journey we would walk together over the next three years?

It’s almost impossible to have someone like Alice or my dad live in a normal home context. They need to be watched and helped 24-7. It’s admirable to attempt to be there for them but the reality is that you will become exhausted, frustrated and mad. The more you try to fix your parent, grandparent or friend the worse it will get. So after three months of living with us and having dad accuse me of being his boss, father and trying to kill him, we placed him in an assisted living center. It took a few weeks for him to adjust or more so for me to let go.

I can’t say that it was easy watching him go from my mentor, educator and friend to someone that needed my help constantly. What amazingly touched me over the three years was how his Dementia helped him become more thankful and loving towards my wife and me. He still struggled with my middle brother who he always clashed during his adolescence until he had his first stroke. Post stroke my dad mellowed out even more and I realized the world he now lived in was very different from mine. He became very simple and the little he spoke was always a thank you and I love you.

My dad was always a veracious reader but now he was no longer able to write even his name. He could read a little with help and a real miracle was that he could still recite the 23rd Psalm and repeat our childhood grace at dinner. I understand Alice’s husband who couldn’t face watching his wife and love over the years not be able to find a bathroom in time. I remember my dad’s struggle one weekend when the custodian decided to write a note on his bathroom door that the toilet was broken without telling any of the other staff. My dad ended up getting confused, frustrated and made messes all over his room. I was clearly furious with this custodian and more so with the CEO not being told what was happening.

I knew a day would come where I would either get a call or know myself that my dad’s last days had arrived. I was so fortunate, like Alice’s younger actress daughter, to have my dad wake up from his last sleep to grip my hand and lovingly look me in the eyes. He gave me a big thanks for all of my care and then a bigger than life, I love you. After that he slept himself into heaven as the family gathered around him.

Yes, my life has been tormented and touched by this awful disease that takes away a person’s dignity and identity. I have a picture of my dad in his wheel chair with one of his crazy hats on and a smile that will keep me going the rest of my life. I miss you DAD and thank you for being Still ED!



No comments:

Post a Comment