Saturday, May 16, 2015

Don’t overlook the little things in life!

Often my wife will chide me and say LOOK UP as we are walking the dogs to see the incredible clouds in the morning or at night it would be the stars. I’m reminded that too often I walk around with my head down or focused on my iPhone.  It was doing something simple like making your wife or kids breakfast that they will remember later in life. My mom went out of her way to make the little things in life special!

I get it that in today’s sex driven culture that everything is too often about looks and feelings that when you do something rather normal you might feel slighted or let down. I’ve discovered that it’s when I hold my Anne’s hand or our feet touch at night reminds me how special the little things in life truly happen to be. The difficulty is that I see too many movies or T.V. shows that make me fanaticize about the supposed big things. The difficulty is that too often I assume that the big things in life will make me happy or satisfied. Yet, the reality is that too often they leave me empty on the inside.

My mom was someone that was a living example of making the ordinary things in life extraordinary. So every time we had dinner it was good food that became extraordinary because of the little things she would do. My wife is the same when it comes to creating a sense of family and community where the little extras make all of the difference.  I admit that its still tempting to be drawn to the dark side of big things that always give me a sense that if I did buy this or accomplish that my life would be so much better.

What I laugh at so often is that during family trips it wasn’t the destination that mattered but being together! My kids who are all now grown would still talk about our marathon vacation that went from Phoenix to Utah, Yellowstone, Lewis & Clark Caverns, Glacier, Glasgow, Mt. Rushmore, Jewel Caverns, etc… it was 5K miles in a little over 2 weeks.


Yes! The little things in life are truly the BIG things that make life special!

No comments:

Post a Comment