Saturday, May 2, 2015

Ghetto Kid!

I’m always amazed at what I learn from my kids and teens when it comes to their living in a diverse community that has been impacted by brokenness in their families. Last night we were hanging out at a local park with a group of Hispanic and African American kids and teens. It’s starting to get hot so we had cold water, Capri Suns and popsicles for treats. I laughed when I heard one of my more shy and timid African American kids scream at another kid who was trying to get seconds. I hear this loud, ‘Ghetto Black Kid!’, come out of my Demori’s mouth. The other kid in question clearly reacted to being called Ghetto and was quick to defend himself when it came to taking more than one popsicle.

What struck me in the midst of the racial war unfolding in Baltimore where clearly there is a disconnect between White and Black culture understanding is how my little friend was so quick to label this kid as Ghetto or specifically Black Ghetto. Clearly my little friend understands in our neighborhood that Ghetto refers to a lifestyle choice where you are quick to take advantage of someone, steel if you can get away with it and not be too quick to say thank you or apologize if you get caught.  My little friend was really protecting me and speaking up to show concern for the actions of this neighborhood kid that was taking advantage of our generosity.

If I had screamed out hey you ‘Black Ghetto Kid’ get away from the ice chest I would have been considered a racist and a mean ‘White Guy’! The difficulty is that it is too easy to make excuses on behalf of those that are breaking the law or the ‘Ghetto Code’. I error too often by thinking ‘poor’ little kid he doesn’t have a dad, never gets much attention, help or any type of enjoyment in life. My little friend was offended by the actions of this little kid. He was really standing up for himself to say don’t do this because you make me and other Black kids or teens look bad!

What would my little friend say about what recently happened in Baltimore with the police’s unlawful treatment of Freddie Gray and his untimely death? I think he would be quick to say why are the police acting so Ghetto? Just as he would surely be embarrassed with all of the looting, rioting and violence by his fellow African Americans. He clearly would be someone on the sidelines at the protests screaming out don’t act so ‘Ghetto’! My little friend’s simple point was do what is right and you have nothing to be shamed about! He would be quick to say this isn’t about race but about doing what is right and standing up for the truth and even opposing the evil around you such as a kid taking two popsicles!

I had another young gal in my group re-enforce in a negative fashion how not to respond to not getting your way. My little friend had bought some cookies at the dollar store and decided to share them with a friend as we were going home. The unfortunate challenge for a young gal was that my friend didn’t give them to her but to her brother. Her response was rather Ghetto, she slammed the van door and ran off in a rage. Clearly in her mind there had been an injustice and she deserved to get the cookies. I scolded her about her bad attitude and choice of slamming the door.
What would happen if we started listening more to the voices around us like my little friend? I’m learning so much about values and culture from my little friend to speak the truth and not be afraid of the fallout.




No comments:

Post a Comment