Friday, May 15, 2015

Most important life lesson – STAND BACK UP!

Today I had the privilege of attending a young friend’s graduation from college. What made this day stand out was that most graduating were middle aged and had experienced many ups and downs in their lives. I’m sure if I where to interview them and ask what was the most important life lesson for them it would be to not allow the little upsets in life to stop you from standing back up and finishing. It was so exciting to hear from the crowd, Yeah Mom, Grandma or Grandpa YOU DID IT!

I can remember as a youngster being captivated by superman or batman T.V. shows. I truly believed for a short time that I could leap tall buildings, run faster than a speeding bullet or locomotive and someday have my own batmobile. Then reality hit me that the most important thing in life isn’t winning but being able to stand back up after I fell down.

It’s so easy to get caught up in the winning and success mindset that you miss out on life’s most important gifts. Yes, when I’m transparent enough to let others see my weaknesses and skinning my knees than I become a real person. Life takes on a different focus where relationships become more important than my possessions or position in the workplace, community or even my church.

I will always remember my son’s learning curve with riding his first bike without training wheels. He will always accuse me of being sadistic but I understood that he had to have his own experience of riding knowing that he would dump the bike a few times. Yes it was on that Saturday afternoon that we went to the park across the street from our house. Yes, I confess, I gave him a little push on the bike to get him going. Unfortunately, amidst the laughs, we watched him ride like the wind and then collide with a bush or was it a tree.  Yes, this seemed to scare my son but he did learn how to ride his bike and got back up many times since then.

My friend who graduated is an amazing role model of someone who faced extreme circumstances in her life. She was initially raised in an abusive home where she saw and experienced the unmentionable. It was when her aunt rescued her that life had the potential to change. The difficulty was the memories of the past could have easily crippled her from staying in school and finishing. Yet, she in many ways is my superhero that chose to stand back up and not let her past keep her down. 


So if you fell down yesterday please get back up today!

No comments:

Post a Comment