Wednesday, May 13, 2015

Why do differences always stop us from being kind?

One of the more tragic aspects in life is watching people who you love but don’t share much in common end up being at odds with yourself and others! Why is it the case that people that are passionate about politics, religion, education reform or even the PC vs. MAC war end up being mean or even brutal to each other? I’m often humbled by the fact that people who claim to be Christians and share much in common with me are easily upset and even annoyed if I don’t agree 100% with them.

It amazes me that we are so quick to focus on what divides us instead of what we share in common. I understand the reason that conformity or homogeneity creates a sense of security for most. When we are thrown into a situation that is unfamiliar or clearly different from our present perspective on life we question, argue and ultimately decide whether the relationship is viable. Yet, usually the goal of my relationships in this context isn’t to understand unfortunately but to persuade someone over to my side, which clearly is the correct side! The challenge is that this usually doesn’t happen and we walk away too often at odds or at war with a work place friend, neighbor or family member.

My mom was always quick to remind me to be nice or kind to everyone and especially the person that I didn’t see eye to eye. The reality is when I walk away from an argument with someone I’m usually mad and hold a grudge. My mom would remind me often about the Bible’s admonition to live at peace with everyone as best as is possible. So is it possible to be kind and thoughtful to the person who holds a view that you believe to be totally off base?

Do you live by the golden rule where you believe that for you to be treated fairly you have to treat others fairly? So what happens when you show kindness to someone and they are ungrateful or actually rude or crude to you? I confess that too often I treat someone a certain way so that I can get what I want from them. The reason why most people aren’t kind to those that are different from them is the false assumption that someone that holds a contrary view to theirs has to be bad or evil!

I’ve had the most amazing experiences at time where I have met someone who is the polar opposite of me. The initial reaction is that there isn’t any possible way we could be friends or actually carry on a beneficial conversation. Yet, in many circumstances I’ve discovered that this person who I might not agree with their life style choices becomes a friend. I’ve learned from my mom’s example to look beyond our differences and see the good in the other person and in time see that we do share much in common. The difficulty is that too often we are too shallow in our basis for understanding a person and are too quick to jump to conclusions about their personal integrity.


Maybe it’s time to show kindness to the person that doesn’t agree totally with your passions and views in life! Imagine the impact this would have on your mood and energy level tomorrow? It takes way more energy to frown than it does to smile J

No comments:

Post a Comment