Wednesday, November 3, 2010

Connecting!

Today was one of those days where you go YEAH! It seemed like everywhere I went I ran into people that God had prepped to be wanting to connect. I had been in the process of selling a nice used Macbook and hooked up with an ASU student who turned out to be an incredible young man. He turned out to be someone that is cross-cultural and very interested in doing community work. He was not your typical student. I ended up giving him a deal on the laptop, which he desperately needed and listened to his story for an hour or so. We finished with a sense that God has linked us together. I can’t fathom his conversation with his mom who is an ‘old school’ lady from India that wants the best for her son but according to her family culture. I know that this young man will help out in the near future with New City. He is very interested in getting other ASU students to help with tutoring and mentoring young students.

If that wasn’t enough then I ended up getting a call from a local pastor who had initially acted as if his church couldn’t partner with us for our painting blitz. His call was a welcome surprise, their thanksgiving project had fallen through and he wanted to partner with our Blitz Project. This was incredible news.

As I am shopping at Staples for more supplies for our upcoming project on Saturday I again run into another young man who wants to help out but is always working or doing school. I know that this guy also is a different from the rest of the crowd. I was equally shocked to go into Subway to get a $5 foot long to hear the Hispanic teen behind the cash register says to me, “Don’t I know you?? Are you the guy always around South Ranch?” This ended up with a conversation about his being new in the South Ranch Community and me being able to share briefly about what we are doing.

The crowning conversation was with a single mom whose house we are going to paint on Saturday. She stands heads and shoulders above the typical African American Mom in my neighborhood. She has two kids, a college age son and a Jr. High daughter. She has had a job for 20 years and owns her house. I was thrilled to hear her story of why she is different from many others in her neighborhood. It was obvious that her parents care big time, are a Godly influence in her life and she chooses to say no to the bad stuff and yes to God and being a full time mom.

What a day! Thanks Lord :)

No comments:

Post a Comment