Monday, November 29, 2010

Connections

Over the last three years I have been involved with doing some amazing things. I never imagined that painting the exterior of homes would give me a window into a person’s life and an ability to connect with their family. I am humbled and overwhelmed that God would allow me the privilege to be part of the lives of Mr. Sanchez, Ramona, Art Carter, Tanya and now Travis. I can fathom not having Mrs. Jefferson, Doris, Sarah, Ruby or even Glenda as special friends.

It is too easy to be overly cautious about what I choose to do and whom I choose to help. Just now I received a phone call from one of my kid’s moms. She doesn’t have a great track record. She unfortunately always seems to be between jobs, having one crisis after another. This time between not having a home for her kids, which means they are staying with others or me, she had her car towed over the weekend while visiting a friend. What do I do now? There is a side to me that wants to sit her down and give a good ‘tongue’ lashing for being so foolish and casting out her kids. Yet, I am learning not to be so quick to judge or let my anger go.

As I connect today with Ramona who isn’t going to live much longer I am so thankful for being her friend. I am thrilled that her daughter would call me and ask for help. I truly wish I could pray over her and see her frail little body be healed and recover. Yet, I know that our days are numbered and only God has the power and authority to take action.

I am still in the middle of the battle between the Sanchez daughters. I know that it isn’t my job to bring peace or unity to these gals. Unfortunately one of them has decided to be the lone ranger and act on her own without the support of her sisters. There has been much harm done through the one sister taking charge without thinking. She unfortunately is doing this supposedly in the name of Jesus.

Life can be messy at times regardless of our socio-economic setting, family history or who we know. I know that sin is a factor in all of our lives. At times God’s grace and mercy seem to rescue us from the mess and other times the consequences of our actions hurt us and those we love.

Christmas is definitely the time of the year to be reminded that there is ONE who has purposely chosen to step up on our behalf. Just as I know I’ll get a call from one of my kid’s mom about getting her car out of jail I know at first I will flinch about whether I should help or just let her ‘stew’ in her own circumstances. Yet, Jesus has shown us his love even when we were his enemies. The gospel goes out its way to show that mercy and forgiveness are God’s heart in all matters.

My hope is that I can continue to make connections that will be give opportunities for the Gospel of Grace to impact the lives of many. Yeah, as my wife would say we are all mutants or ragamuffins.

No comments:

Post a Comment