Monday, November 15, 2010

Scream!

We had an incredible gathering last night with a New City/Barrio BBQ. We had a good sized group with a blend of everything that makes South Phoenix such an amazing place to live. I was thrilled that a few of my newer friends came, obviously had a few others who I had wished would come but didn’t. My one friend brought his two little girls who had a great time and I know will bug dad to bring them back.

We have some great friends who were visiting from New Mexico. They have been in the background as we have watched New City/Barrio be birthed. So I was glad they were able to talk with quite a few who came last night to get a better sense of what we are about. I know that what we are doing is something that our enemy and antagonist the devil is so against. It doesn’t surprise me when something happens that is a ‘downer’. I am always asking God what do you want me to learn from this.

So just as we are finishing everything up and people are leaving one of the teens tells me that her mom is missing money from her purse. I never know what to do between screaming at everyone, frisking everyone, doing nothing, going to specific individuals or?? So I talked to a few of the kids who are so quick to put the ‘finger’ on someone. I made a couple of phone calls and texted the mom who was hurt.

I go to bed with that strange sense of joy and also frustration. Isn’t it possible for my kids to figure it out sooner than later that stealing is bad and that protecting someone is also just as bad? I know the likelihood of someone ratting on someone is very slim? So what do I do? I don’t want to quit having gatherings that are mixed, adults with kids. I also don’t want to have all purses, wallets put under lock and key. I want to be able to trust everyone but know deep down inside that there will always be someone who is looking for a quick scam. I can picture the frustration and sadness of Jesus who is sold out by Judas and then in turn has each of his main guys totally flake out. So I know that Jesus understands my hurt and heart ache both for people that are targeted and the person who just made the mess.

I know that most parents accept the fact their babies will require special help for a season. So changing diapers, cleaning up messes and waking up in the middle of the night is to be expected for a few years. The challenge is when this few years turns into the rest of the life of the kid who becomes a teen and then an adult. So how can I be grace driven and still deal with these types of circumstances. If screaming and beatings would work I would do that but they don’t. I am slowly learning that praying, waiting and being persistent is God’s way. Judas did repent of his actions when he tossed the coins on the ground. Peter was ashamed for a lifetime of his out right rejection of Jesus.

God help me not be too ‘chicken’ to confront evil with the power of the Spirit. Help me not always be quick to judge just a few but seek help all the way around with pursuing the good. I know that the Father’s heart is to see justice served, the poor in Spirit blessed and the deceitful brought down. No one promised that this would be easy but always messy but with the amazing blessing of seeing lives transformed.

No comments:

Post a Comment