Tuesday, November 30, 2010

Strays

I have been reading a rather fascinating book, “Oogy”, the story of a family who takes in strays and this includes adopting twins and a dog used for bait. As I look back at my life I seem to be one who also loves to take in strays because I too am a stray that is at odds with God, family and friends at times It is only because I have been adopted and loved in an extraordinary way that my life has meaning and value.

The way that I met my Anne is also out of the extraordinary. We both ended up at an Inter Varsity Camp in the Santa Cruz Mountains. She came because of her Church’s request to do some type of Bible study before leaving for Ethiopia. I had to attend for ICCF group. We lived on opposite ends of Cali and came out of very different contexts, Anne a missionary kid and me a military kid. We met on the Santa Cruz Beach Board Walk. I had long frizzy hair and was definitely was a Jesus Freak and Anne was just a blonde with long hair who was pretty but wore missionary leftovers.

I was drawn to her wit, intelligence and charm. She was a person who loved God without any boundaries. I was fascinated with her growing up in Pakistan and now on her way to Ethiopia. I had moved every few years in my life but had never been outside of the U.S. I was more the stray looking for a home then Anne.

Over the years we have taken in different people and pets or strays. I know that as we approach Christmas the overwhelming message of the gospel is that God is in the business of loving and adopting strays. I can think back to little Joey, who was the son of our sister in-law’s sister. I can remember Tony and Freddy and the impact they had on our two kids we adopted while we were starting a church. Now I think of Terrance, Darious and our dog pack, Graham, Carly, Peanut and Freckles. They all are a reminder of God’s incredible love to those on the outside that have been forgotten, left behind and abandoned.

My hope is to be one who is willing to take the time to love on those who have less and could easily be passed over as not deserving for attention. I know that as we finished “Stick Boy’s’ project last night that he didn’t have a computer, printer or internet at his little home that is off the beaten path. I love Brenning Manning’s book, “Ragamuffin Gospel”, because it talks about God’s love for ragamuffins, which I truly am.

No comments:

Post a Comment