Tuesday, November 16, 2010

Trust

After doing different sized events over the last three I am learning that God is in control and the outcome is truly in his hands. This doesn’t mean that I opt out from planning, praying or pursuing people. I am seeing that numbers and quality are important but what is most important is making sure that each person involved knows that they count and have meaning and value because of God’s image being in them. Yes, I know that I am a total sinner/bad guy. I am amazed at what can be accomplished with broken and fallen people who are usually more interested in themselves then helping others.

I met early this morning with three great friends who are very much part of New City/Barrio Nuevo. They will make our second painting blitz be relatively smooth sailing. Yeah, I could freak about different groups dropping out at the last minute or whether the funds will come in to cover both the expense of the event in addition to providing funding for our ongoing work. I was blessed to get a large check in the mail from someone who wasn’t able to attend but instead provided the means to cover the cost of the whole blitz between supplies and food. Another church isn’t able to really participate because of a funeral but will still send a check that will help us.

I know that it is easy at times to let circumstances cause an emotional roller coaster. There always seems to be someone to stand up when someone else steps aside. I still feel miffed or emotionally drained when something happens that isn’t ok. I know that being on the sick side before the blitz isn’t a good thing. So I am taking it easy by doing a little bit each day. I do hope and pray that my Anne will get better today – tomorrow.

I am also learning that being responsible for the little things is just as important as watching the biggies. I know that it is easy on occasion to give someone the impression that I am too busy for him or her or I don’t want him or her to be involved. Yet, my heart really is to be open ended so that anyone who comes and wants to help out is welcome. This also has a down side when it comes to youth that are truly on the wild side. How are we going to impact our neighborhood if we exclude those on the outside? I don’t have the answers always as to how to reach or tame those that don’t know Christ but understand that the gospel is more than capable of turning a life around.

Trust is something I am learning both from God relating back to me and also my many new friends in the neighborhood.

No comments:

Post a Comment