Friday, November 26, 2010

Frenzy?

This is the first ever in my life that I have actually gotten up on Black Friday to checkout some deals at a local store close to my house. I first went to my Starbucks, which is just walking distance away. There was a line waiting to get into the store. There was another group giving out free coffee for the new gym around the corner. I can’t fathom that a business store would draw a crowd but it did. The manager is a good friend so I know that she must be pleased to have all of the cashiers working away at 6AM.

I have to admit that I like to get the latest and greatest products when it comes to high tech. I know that I am a geek but fortunately the Apple Store doesn’t give great discounts so there isn’t any reason to rush off. Plus I have everything I need at present. So what’s the point of writing this morning? It isn’t to bash those who are willing to get up at 3AM but to say why is it the case that we can only rise early a few times a year? I am under the persuasion that this would be a good practice all of the time.

I know that Jesus was in the habitat of disappearing early in the morning to get away from the crowd, get some quiet and perspective on the day. I agree that it is easier to think and pray early in the day. I also understand how the best-laid plans of anyone can come to not when we wait too long and other things become a distraction of lesser importance.

I was thrilled last Saturday that there was kind of frenzy with my painting blitz will lots of people showing up early on a Saturday morning. We did get a lot accomplished that wouldn’t have happened if we had slept in and not made any definite plans for what time to appear and where to go. So yes planning and thinking ahead does make a big difference.

So what would happen if we didn’t celebrate Christmas and Thanksgiving? Is it possible that there wouldn’t be a Black Friday? What would happen to all of the sales or unbelievable deals? I know that I have told a few that if it is too good to be true it must not be, but wait a second can’t there ever be gifts dropped out of heaven? I know that everyone wishes this would be true but the reality is that you can’t get something for free without someone else paying for it.

It is too easy to say that God’s love is free and that all you have to do is just believe. Even in saying this there is a cost to God that is unfathomable and also to you or me when we choose to walk or follow after Jesus. The greatest gift isn’t on Black Friday but Good Friday. (It is surprising that these names aren’t swapped, you know Jesus’ death should be on Black Friday and then shopping for great deals should be on Good Friday.) As I sit in a Starbucks typing, drinking and watching it hits me that life in spite of the recession isn’t that bad. I have had many great little surprises the last couple of weeks. God does come through in some of the most unusual circumstances. I know that when I get my focus on the wrong person or circumstance God sometimes does a number on me to force me to see that you can’t put Him in a box and that ultimately He is the one in control.

I’ll go back home and wait a few hours to go back to Staples to see if the printer/copier that is only $99 instead of 499 will still be there and is a good deal.

Yet, the best deal for me is being with my best friend and wife of 37 years. If there is one I should get into frenzy over, it is my Anne. She is always there, faithful, beautiful and ready to help, create a laugh and also be sensitive to those that are hurting or scream when there is an injustice.

No comments:

Post a Comment