Friday, November 12, 2010

Sick?

I know of one of the more difficult things for me is to admit that I get tired like everyone else. I too am susceptible to the cold or flu bug on occasion. Yesterday was a busy day that started at 5:30 AM and didn’t finish until I collapsed around 7PM. I was definitely slowing down towards the end of my last meeting. I had a great morning with doing breakfast with a good friend and then had a group of 8th graders help do a mercy project for most of the morning.

I think the one thing I did, different from my past, was to cancel an evening appointment. I have a few great friends who help out some of my families in a special way. This one younger couple were going to come by and go over a gift list with me for a single dad and his kids. I decided after coming home that this wasn’t going to work. So I made up the list, put on a few great pics of the kids and then e-mailed it and texted about being sick.

Yesterday was a holiday so the kids were off of school. I had a group that had helped with doing the morning project that wanted taxi service to and from the mall. I explained that I had a certain window to help but their timing didn’t fit. They still attempted to get Anne to get them in the evening. The unfortunate thing, for them, they didn’t tell her they were at the mall. So around 9PM we get a knock at the door and the group was there expecting taxi service. We had just gone to bed and Terrance ran interference for us. I know that they didn’t like being told NO but they had blown it totally by waiting till the last minute and after telling a couple of them that I couldn’t they should have known better. So they walked home, which wasn’t that far away.

I don’t like being sick but it helps remind me that I am human and don’t have unlimited energy or brainpower. I can picture struggling with having a cold and allowing his mom, Mary, to care for him. I know that my wife is a great caregiver and at times I am too self-sufficient and don’t allow her the ability to love on me in this way.

So cough, cough and I had better get to work for at least part of the day.

No comments:

Post a Comment