Monday, December 2, 2013

Good Things Do Come in Small Packages!

I know that often the adage good things come in small packages doesn’t usually apply to people but in the case of my Anne it does. I will never forget the day that I met my Anne way back in 1972. We were both attending an Inter Varsity Christian Fellowship Camp in the Santa Cruz Mountains. I met Anne because she was in my small group for the week. I have to admit that she was rather short but her long following blonde hair did initially get my attention. She had this rather fascinating accent and very interesting sense of humor that captivated my heart!

I was taken back with her stories about growing up overseas in Pakistan. I had little idea that this shorty with the fascinating accent would soon gain my total attention and I would be driving 12 hours to find her after our providential encounter at this camp. We had spent considerable time together after the first day of introductions at the camp. I was drawn to her spiritual freshness and willingness to live out her faith in a real way. She explained that the reason she was at the camp was prep for her yearlong mission trip to Ethiopia. I was captivated with her future plans and jealous that I wasn’t able to do something as crazy as this.

I know that she seriously doubted whether she would see me, the long hair Jesus Freak, after our encounter in Santa Cruz. Yet, I was drawn to her beautiful smile and ability to captivate my attention with her wit. I knew that I had to visit her and find out for myself whether she was the one. Yes, I knew that it was crazy as a 19 year old to think that I had found my mate or life partner at this camp. So I made the drive to San Diego only having her address and the hope that she would remember me and be willing to hear me out.

I won’t go into details but the trip was rather mystical as I discover that she isn’t at her house but doing a summer mission work at an orphanage in T.J. I actually navigate my way through the border into Mexico only to fall upon the doorstep of  Casa de La Esperanza. I know that Anne was just as surprised as I was that I was able to find her. I could go into my story of how the Holy Spirit got me there but clearly this was pre-internet and Google maps. I found her regardless of how and this began the legacy of a relationship that would continue for what is now a lifetime.

I can remember Anne’s dad making some rather interesting remarks at our wedding about us being too young, too small and too poor. He was so sure that I had kidnapped his little Anne and that her life would be ruined and she would miss out on college. Yet, looking back we grew up together as teens in college who made our living with delivering the L.A. Times and numerous other papers by getting up at 2:30am everyday of the week unless we had a vacation. (This rarely ever happened!) We had a great life living in Los Osos with our backyard being an estuary and the ocean just on the other side of the sand dunes. We even had horses for a season before the birth of our Heather that swept us away from this beach paradise to the Bay area.

As we celebrate our 40th anniversary it is with great joy that I remember the blonde girl from Pakistan who has become my life. I thank God for giving me the courage and boldness to look for her in San Diego and find her at the orphanage! God does know our ultimate dreams and brings them to pass in His time and way.

No comments:

Post a Comment