Tuesday, December 10, 2013

Reverse Racism?

I have to admit that I tire of hearing about racism always in relationship to me being a ‘White guy’.  I have a passion for people that came out of disadvantaged circumstances but what I don’t appreciate is someone who makes an excuse about their present circumstances because of something that happened generations ago. I don’t view myself as being an Anglo guy but just a human being who was born in Bourne Mass to parents that were both from St. Louis, MO. I was blessed to have parents that taught about character and integrity as the basis to judge another person and not skin color, educational background, accent or where you were born.

Yes, I admit that because of my background I do have certain advantages that are part of the culture I have been raised around. It was my choice to be someone to focus while in school and not totally mess around. I wasn’t necessarily smart but learned through my parent’s example that hard work ultimately pays off. Yes, I agree that getting a job is based upon whom you know and that other people can be racially biased in their employment selections.  I experienced, as a college grad, discrimination when it came to working as a union cement finisher in the Bay Area in the late 70’s. The assumption was because I was a college grad that I had no business doing cement work and taking jobs from those without college degrees.

I worked for a year with a totally Hispanic Concrete Company where I was the first ‘White’ guy to hack working with this small but amazing crew of finishers. I know that the first couple of weeks of working with Henry’s guys the talk, I speak a little Spanish, was to see if they could get this ‘White’ guy to quit. I was making close to 2.5 times what I would have made as an entry level lab tech with a Biochemistry degree. So I figured that it was worth putting up with the discrimination and see if I could hang in there and win these guys over.

The ultimate proof of my being accepted was after the birth of my daughter who was literally flown from our small town setting to the big city. My boss and now respected friend asked me to sit down at his desk. Henry pulled out his checkbook and asked me how much money I needed to pay for Heather’s hospital bills. He was prepared to write me a check for $10k. I was humbled and had learned lots about racial issues after being trained my E & A’s guys over a year. I learned a lifetime lesson about the benefit of understanding about the ‘blue collar and white collar’ world around me.

I have learned so much about life, love, forgiveness, mercy and grace from my kids that represent the cultural diversity of Phoenix. I personally don’t care what others think about my choice to be a non-colored person in a neighborhood of color. My hope, especially at Christmas time, is to encourage everyone to step back and appreciate people for who they happen to be and not allow stereotypes to bias them. I know that taking a picture of two my kids with a ‘White’ Santa might offend some but I didn’t have a choice because he was the only one willing to play Santa.


I confess to the fact that I am interested in seeing racial reconciliation be more part of the rubric of our culture than discrimination.  I long for the day when people will be viewed by their passions in life and doing something that will be remembered regardless of their racial or socio-economic background.

No comments:

Post a Comment