Monday, December 2, 2013

Surprise - people do care!

I have to admit that I have been rather anxious the last month with arranging for my mom and dad to be placed at Rosecrans National Cemetery. It has taken more effort, paperwork and phone calls to arrange for the closing of this chapter in my life. I still have a difficult time believing that my dad is no longer around. I actually miss my drives each week to take my dad out for a milk shake at Jack or McDonalds. I remember his smile and crazy way he would tilt his hat. I will cherish most the memory of my dad’s last words, which are truly a gift from God. It was as if he knew how much I needed to be assured that he was ok. He was lying in his bed in a rather sleepy state. I had touched him to see if he would recognize us but initially he didn’t budge. Yet, as I touched his forehead he grabbed my hand and looked at me with his eyes wide opened and said, “Dave I love you! I love you! I want to thank you for caring for me!” I couldn’t contain myself and burst into tears.

It is these tears now a few months later that come back as I finish making arrangements for my mom and dad’s final earthly resting place. So it was a total shock this morning as I’m going by a Starbucks close to my brother’s in Santee that I make my usual order. As I pull up to let the barista scan my iPhone she quickly says that the lady in front of me actually paid for my order. I was stunned, what? Someone else showed me kindness as a stranger who had no idea that today would be one of the most difficult in my life.


I admit that I should have quickly offered to pay for the driver behind me but for some reason that didn’t strike me until I had driven off. I want to thank the spontaneity of this stranger for making my day! I love being able to surprise and bless people who are in tough circumstances and today someone returned me the blessing! Thanks be to God for his amazing grace and mercy that is seen even in a free cup of coffee!

No comments:

Post a Comment