Tuesday, December 31, 2013

Incredible Friend

I had a voice mail from a good friend’s wife yesterday. It seemed initially to be in regards to a yearend gift to New City – Barrio Nuevo. Yet, as I returned the phone call it turned out to be an example of someone who was able to care in such an incredible way because of their love for God. I have known this individual over the last decade. He has become a major player in our painting projects having helped paint over 15 houses in the last 6 years. As I listened to his wife tell me what was really happening it was a sad story about his dad’s decline and being in hospice care. I was humbled that he would think about me as he is with his dying dad.

My friend had taken a couple of weeks off to repair his parent’s house and help his dad especially. I know that he and his family had little idea that his dad’s days were coming to an end. My friend’s dedication to God and family is amazing. I was actually shocked that in the midst of his suffering that he would call his wife and remind her to send a year end check to New City – Barrio Nuevo. She called up to make sure the details on the sheet were correct.

I quickly e-mail and texted my friend knowing somewhat his experience after being with my dad just months before as he faced the end of his earthly life. I echoed my friend’s sentiment that the huge hole in his life that would happen because of his dad’s passing was my present experience. I can’t describe the sense of loss and clear question of why now? Yet, I’m learning that part of life is facing death in a positive way that allows those around you to see through the hurt and heartache to understand the gifts of the life of a dad, mom, brother or sister.


I’m so thankful for my friend’s example of being someone who cares for others in the midst of real pain and heartache.  I hope I can be able to do this as I face hardship in life.

No comments:

Post a Comment