Monday, December 30, 2013

Tough Year or a Year of Gifts?

As we finish out 2013 it is often too easy to look at what might be perceived as the unfortunate things to miss out on what is really important. I have received many letters, cards and e-mails about my dad’s passing. Yes, this aspect of my life is sad not to have any of my parents around to share in the ongoing Bennett history. My prayer was for both my parents to see my kids get married and be blessed to see their great grandkids. Yet, I knew this most likely wouldn’t happen. I was excited to have my dad be part of my son’s wedding to such an extent that others commented on how well grandpa was back in March.

As the close of a year draws near it is to easy for me to make a list of accomplishments over the last year, which are all important but not necessarily the most important focus. I know that it isn’t easy to talk about the difference between doing and being. What is most important in your life? Is the list of accolades that someone else might place next to your name? Is it the sense of understanding that the most important issues before any of us must be our family, our values and our core beliefs? I will be the first to confess that I can error on the side of being a doer without giving enough attention to what should make up the essence of my heart.  

It has been the people behind the scenes who typically do most of the work but get little attention that have been my heroes over the years. I’ll get a letter from a friend who is now in her 90’s. My memories of this friend from over 25 years ago is that her and her husband would be the ones to stay after church to clean up and never complain. They would be the ones to go the extra mile and everyone just knew that they would do this. I recently received a letter from my dad’s sister that totally shocked me. She offered to my brothers and me a guitar from her youth with a very interesting story.  My dad was someone with musical abilities but I’m afraid that wasn’t the case with our aunt.

As the story goes this special guitar, which is a Martin, was actually stolen during the funeral of her dad. It reappeared about a year later along with some other things that had been stolen from the house. What is unusual is that the guitar wasn’t hurt and was still in great condition. The catch is that this was almost 60 years ago when this happened. I’m humbled and blessed to have an aunt who is willing to let go of some of her history to help me better understand the history of my dad, her brother.


Yes this was a tough year watching someone you love slowly lose their grasp on life. The sad happy part of this is that there is always some aspect of life that comes out of death that wouldn’t be here without my dad going onto a better life with the one he really loved and missed! I’m so thankful for the impact my mom and dad had on my life. The lessons they taught me are both priceless and timeless and will last a lifetime. I love you mom and dad! I miss the both of you!

No comments:

Post a Comment