Tuesday, December 17, 2013

Tis the season to reflect, remember and rejoice!

One of my favorite Christmas movies next to ‘Home Alone’, ‘The Christmas Story’ is ‘Christmas Vacation’. It’s a totally silly off the wall type of movie that I seem to have made a holiday tradition that I must watch along with the Pope’s midnight mass before Christmas. My wife I know wants to beat me on occasion for watching such foolishness but it just reminds me of some of my childhood memories about my parents being your typical parents.

I have memories of always looking under the bed, in the closet or in the storage area in the garage to see what I was getting for Christmas. Yes it did get to a point where I truly thought I had our ‘foxed’ my mom. Yet, she figured out that my brother and I had been too nosey so she instead put the presents with a neighborhood to stop our crazy search. This didn’t stop the excitement and joy of Christmas.

What I want to reflect about weren’t the assortment of gifts we would get and whether I would be jealous of my brother or vice versa but the real meaning of Christmas. Yes that God did something rather amazing in reaching back to us in history and time to show us how he intended us to live. I know that the Silent Night version that reflects on all of the ‘bad stuff’ happening is a reminder that for the most part nights usually aren’t silent and most tragedies take place during the moon’s watch and not the sun.

My parents were great at making Christmas about family and caring for each other. I will always remember the little things that my mom would do that made each Christmas something I would remember. I know that this will be my first Christmas without a parent and I’m rather sad to think about it. I am fortunate to have many photo albums that my mom put together of the family over the years with my kids when they were very young. Yet, I would rather have them by my side to savor the moment.  

I know that my Anne struggles a lot with how to make Christmas special when our kids are now aging adults who have their own traditions that don’t always mesh with ours and the real challenge is always scheduling. I’m so thankful for memories and perspective on understanding that Christmas is about family, giving of yourself and I also think forgiving those who have hurt you and also considering asking for forgiveness from those you have hurt.

I know that some of the crazy traditions we continue will help me be ok without my mom and dad physically being here yet they here in spirit. We have gone out to Denny’s or Coco’s after going to a Christmas Eve Service for the last 19 years. The unfortunate fact usually is that the service is usually horrible on Christmas Eve because everyone is short staffed and would rather be home. Yet, we continue to do it regardless of the service level.

My Christmas Eve will be special as we make a meal for our homeless friends in the morning with the help of 70 friends. These special friends will help me carry on the mindset of my mom and dad which was to help those around us that don’t have a family but do have the means to be thankful for the greatest gift of all history the birth of the God-man Jesus Christ. Yes this is a mystery that for centuries we have debated but the reality is that the God of creation choose to enter into our space and time to show us the real meaning of life. I’m thankful for the parents he gave me that helped me to understand the real meaning of Christmas, which I hope my kids and their kids will comprehend.


Merry Christmas dad and mom! I’m thankful to have you as my example of the real meaning of Christmas.

No comments:

Post a Comment